calf still not eating calf starter

Help Support CattleToday:

strick75

Reaction score
My calf will be 2 months old on Oct. 13th. She had a bad start in life and has been bottle fed since
she was 6 days old. We have her at the pasture now and I go there twice a day to feed her. She is drinking almost 4 qts. each feeding. I also put pieces of apple in the calf starter and she eats the apple
out but when the apple is gone, she does not want it. She is still hungry and wants more milk.
Should I feed her more milk? She does graze on grass some but I have no idea how much she actually eats.
This morning she was still very hungry, she even tried to nurse another mom but that did not work.
What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Sheila

strick75":33eggw60 said:
My calf will be 2 months old on Oct. 13th. She had a bad start in life and has been bottle fed since
she was 6 days old. We have her at the pasture now and I go there twice a day to feed her. She is drinking almost 4 qts. each feeding. I also put pieces of apple in the calf starter and she eats the apple
out but when the apple is gone, she does not want it. She is still hungry and wants more milk.
Should I feed her more milk? She does graze on grass some but I have no idea how much she actually eats.
This morning she was still very hungry, she even tried to nurse another mom but that did not work.
What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Sheila

Sheila

I suspect you are a newbie.

Everyone who is new always seems to panic when "my calf will not eat starter". I see it here at least several times a month - do a search for your own info and you will see what I am talking about.

If this animal is with other cows it has already learned to eat grass.

Others will tell you it MUST be separated and NEEDS grain. I disagree and this is why .....

But first - I hate bottle calves - all work and expense - pain in the butt - but we learned a few years ago that we could do it differently with great success.

If we keep a bottle feeder (rare - no novelty, just extra work), we now let it run with some quiet cows and do not supplement - we bottle feed like you and it stays with the herd. At the end of the season they always seem to be right there with the rest of them.

In fact - despite what I am saying above - while I am away my wife is bottle feeding an orphan with great genetics - it runs with the herd and things are going quite well according to my last skype conversation with her - only yesterday.

I do admit my wife does not follow the directions on the bag - she feeds somewhat richer and usually a little longer than most on this board would do - perhaps that is the difference - you do as you see fit - it is your animal.

Trust me - there are ways you can force her to eat grain - and there are ways you can teach her to eat it.

Personally - after nearly 50 years of cattle experience I would not waste my time. When the calf is ready to eat - it will eat.

As for being hungry after feeding - two things.

1. I cannot see your calf - but I suspect it is simply the "suck reflex" - you feed twice a day - three times a day or whatever - then take the bottle out of its mouth - it will suck anything - it is a normal instinctive reflex.

2. Without seeing your calf I can tell you - if you think it is truly hungry and it needs more milk - you can likely increase it - or add a mid day feeding if you are inclined. Any increases to be done a bit at a time and slowly - but in fact if it looks healthy then just keep doing what you are doing. However I suspect your calf is doing reasonably well from the sounds of it. I know this is obvious - but as it grows it needs more - remember that.

If the calf tries to steal - that is great - it may learn how to avoid being kicked - which animals will let it and most importantly - how to steal - less work for you if it happens. May happen and may not - you will still have to feed.

Oh, yeah - relax.

You do the search and read what others have to say and do as you see fit - but for the moment I figure things are working.

All is well and you are likely getting wrapped around the axles for no reason.

Enjoy your calf.

Bez+

I agree, if she wants more milk give her more. Do it gradually though so she doesn't scour. My full bottle calf was getting 12 litres a day broken into 3 feedings (and it was much richer than the bag directions suggested) .Also, she still ate calf starter like a piggy.

Don't panic about her as long as she is eating hay and/or grass. Like Bez said as well you might have to feed her longer than others do because of her not consuming grain.

Thanks for all the info. I will try not to panic over the calf starter. I have gone thru so much to save
her, it would kill me now if something happen to her. I will try to send a picture later on.
As far as the brand of Calf starter, it is F-R-M, 18% protein. I don't know much about what to buy.
The guy that owns the mom & dad of the calf got it.

Sheila

If she is running with the herd, how are you giving her access to her calf starter ?

Larry

I give her the calf starter in a bowl with cut up apples after I feed her the milk. She eats the apple out
and then thats it. He has a calf feeder thing at the pasture but there are several more calves over there.
The other calves are getting milk from their mom and are very healthy looking. If we put food in the calf feeder, the other calves will eat it & There is no way for me to know if she is getting any.

sheila

Sheila, I guess I'm going to go against the trend here . She needs access to the calf starter on a continuous basis .She is just not able to compete in her current environment . I would put her in a pen alone until she is weaned or with some calves that are similar size and condition .

Larry

If you want to give her more milk , increase the water but keep the milk replacer the same , don't feed more milk replacer per day than what is recomended on the bag , I have had scour problems if I make it too rich.

Latest posts