calf sloughs tail

Help Support CattleToday:

txcattlemom

Reaction score
We have 2 calves(about 2months old) that tail fell off. Straight like it was cut, near the top like a bobtail cat. Any ideas what it is? We do not have fescue, so it is not fescue toxicity. We are very, very dry.
Thanks.

I have never heard or seen this so I did some searching on

http://www.merckvetmanual.com <-- a fantastic reference manual

...the only relevant topics on the suject was just for the tips of the tail with ergotism (eating ryegrass, grain, etc. that had ergot virus on it) or sweating sickness which is caused by ticks

...unless they have been running up against sharp objects, I would ask around in your area including your vet.

Please post back and let us know what you find out as well - I hope it turns out well.

my dad has a cow that he swears the tail was chewed off by rats right after it was born. I tend to think it was probably stepped on and broke. But I don't argue with my dad.

I have talked to 2 vets in the area and both are puzzled too. One suggested mistletoe posioning. Other said give them trace minerals. They and their mothers have free choice high quality(vitafirm) mineral. It looks like it was banded just like docking a lambs tail. Very unusual.
T

I'm just wondering. Did these calves have a manure ball around the tail by any chance? I have had them that had a hard ball of manure encircling the tail. If you don't get it off it will smother the tail as it grows like banding. I've had to take channel locks and break the ball apart in little pieces to remove it. I've never had one to fall off like that though. If you find out what the cause is let us know.

ctlbaron":euughtig said:
I'm just wondering. Did these calves have a manure ball around the tail by any chance? I have had them that had a hard ball of manure encircling the tail. If you don't get it off it will smother the tail as it grows like banding. I've had to take channel locks and break the ball apart in little pieces to remove it. I've never had one to fall off like that though. If you find out what the cause is let us know.

Yes...that's what was playing around in the back of my mind...and I just couldn't get it to come to the front.

We bought a calf at the sale barn that had one of those hard manure balls. When my husband finally got it off, the tail was all withered looking. My brother said that had it stayed much longer the tail would have just dropped off.

Alice

Latest posts