Calf Question

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I bought two heavy bred cows from the sale barn. One calved Dec. 16th and the other one on the 17th. They both weigh about 260 lbs. now. Their mothers are kind of wild and I do not want them to leave my place. I have a new fence and so far they have been pretty good and they stay at home. My neighbor has about 10 acres that she lets me run my cows on, but the fence is in pretty poor shape. I have repaired most of it and my cows do pretty good, but the two from the sale barn, I definitely do not want to take the chance of letting them on her place. I am almost out of hay and would like to use the other pasture. My plan is when the calves hit about 400 lbs. taking them and their mothers to the sale barn.

My question is: Would it hurt to pull the mothers off now and take them to the sale barn? The two calves I plan on feeding until they get to 400 lbs. and then taking them in. Thanks, Phil

JMO i would take them all to the sale if i was short on hay it would take awhile to put another 140lbs on those calves without momma, have them split at the sale may be worth more youd just have to pencil that part to see.

bse is right, they wont gain as much without momma, and you would still have another couple months to feed em out and plus give them hay, or forage.

bse and limomike - thanks for the advice. I went to check on the cows this afternoon and for the first time since last year they were all out grazing in the pasture instead of around the hay bale. I was sure glad to see that. It is mild weather here today in OKC and we are even getting a little rain, so maybe things will turn around this year. Thanks again for the advice, Phil

Latest posts