Calf question... Im a noob

Help Support CattleToday:

racing4funn

Reaction score
I got a small group of 6 and one black angus moma had a 6 week old calf.. Moma up and dies. Its been 2 week.. The little guy hangs round the barn get grain morning and night and gets water from the pond.. He is got a good size gut and looks good.

I need to know if there is more I should be doing? Is there more stuff his body needs?

I need to know if there is more I should be doing? Is there more stuff his body needs?

Yep. Milk replacer and/or a good calf starter grain. A "good size gut" is not a good sign - it's called a potbelly and an indication of a calf not getting enough nutrition.

Thanks. I will get on it tomorrow! Is the calf starter grain for the little guy to start taking to grain or does it have nutrition that he needs. Because he already eats grain.

I would recommend he be fed a calf starter feed with at least 18-20% protein along with green grass or hay, preferrably green grass. These little guys need more protein than larger animals. If he's running with other lactating cows he could be stealing a little milk from the other cows which will help him out. A calf with an extra large belly is usually indicative of a low protein diet. A good indicator of the protein level of the diet is the consistency of the manure. The thicker the consistency the lower the protein. If the manure stacks up more protein is needed. The ideal consistency for growing animals is that of pancake batter. Not too runny, but not piling up.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

If I'm reading your post correctly, the calf is now 8 weeks old. Getting an 8 week old calf onto a bottle is going to be very challenging at the very least! Plus, this is usually the age that bottle calves are weaned, so I would go with a good calf starter. Brock is right that grass is better but, if that is not possible, provide good quality grass hay along with a little good alfalfa for added protein - little (I would start with about a 1/4-1/2" flake once a day) being the key word here for the alfalfa - you don't want a bloat situation. Gradually increase the alfalfa until the hay is 50% good grass and 50% alfalfa. You might also want to consider sprinkling dry milk replacer on his/her starter for added nutrition. I wish you the best with your calf!

Yep if he's 8 weeks old I wouldn't put him on a bottle. I'd do as others said and get him going on a good calf starter and watch him close.

He gets the best grass around.. He walks under the fence and eats the grass out of my yard LOL.. I let him be and thankful that he is eatting.. I got the starter feed today and he already eats grain so switching should be easy..

racing4funn":3jpxgv9f said:
I got a small group of 6 and one black angus moma had a 6 week old calf.. Moma up and dies. Its been 2 week.. The little guy hangs round the barn get grain morning and night and gets water from the pond.. He is got a good size gut and looks good.

Sounds like he is stealing from others - and doing a good job. I probably would do nothing unless he starts to go downhill.

Bez?

That's a great article-- Thanks so much!!
Good luck with the calf!

Susie

R4F,

Be very careful about letting him slip under your fence to steel grass from your yard. It might seem funny now but he will still try to continue that trick when he's much larger with obvious consequences.

arkcowman":203eefp3 said:
R4F,

Be very careful about letting him slip under your fence to steel grass from your yard. It might seem funny now but he will still try to continue that trick when he's much larger with obvious consequences.

Good thinking.. I might have to stop that in the next few weeks..

He cant be stealing.. There are only two helfers here and one isnt old enough and never had a calf and the other hasnt had a calf in a year..

Latest posts