Calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here are some of the calves off our Hereford cows. They are mostly off of 2 year olds or old cows.

The older cows calves (10 year old cows)
DSC04976.jpg

DSC04977.jpg

DSC04979.jpg

The heifers calves
DSC04982.jpg

DSC04978.jpg

DSC04983.jpg

A couple middle aged cows calves
DSC04986-1.jpg

DSC04981.jpg

This calf is also off a 2 year old, but she is Hereford x Gelbveih. We bought her bred, and the calf is 'supposed' to be out of a red Angus bull.

DSC04984.jpg

DSC04986.jpg

Like the last one best.

She looks a lot like the Gelbvieh/Shorthorn crosses my buddy is running. They grow like crazy on all that milk.

Randiliana,

I must say, those heifer calves you have there are very impressive. I especially like the shoulders in those specimens. It must be the Canadian grass because my heifer calves just won't get muscles like that. Is there some Canadian trade secret this Georgian doesn't know about? Is it the milk? I just gotta know.

3waycross":11g5oqol said:
Like the last one best.

She looks a lot like the Gelbvieh/Shorthorn crosses my buddy is running. They grow like crazy on all that milk.

Actually we do have a Gelbveih x Shorthorn cow, she was a test, to see just how much milk there would be. She had her first calf this spring, and I am very pleased with her. Plus, she has a really nice udder.

That last calf is pretty darn good, especially off a 2 year old. She will stay in the herd, I am thinking.

Duke Wellington":h36qwgd7 said:
Randiliana,

I must say, those heifer calves you have there are very impressive. I especially like the shoulders in those specimens. It must be the Canadian grass because my heifer calves just won't get muscles like that. Is there some Canadian trade secret this Georgian doesn't know about? Is it the milk? I just gotta know.

It's these coooooold Canadian winters ;-) .

Actually, it must just be what we pic for cattle. You just have to develop an eye for picking breeding stock that will give you calves like that. A bull with no muscle isn't going to throw well muscled calves. Those 2 Black heifers are out of a Simm/Angus bull, so that will add muscle to them, more so than if they were straight British. Not that you can't do it with straight British, you just have to look harder to find the right bull.

I think you may be right about the bull thing, my friend. There isn't much muscle 'round that shoulder bone of my old bull. I think it's about time we retire that old brangus and bring in some fresh meat! Where 'bouts can one find a shorthorn gelbvieh cross like the one you've got or do you have to just breed 'em yourself?

Duke Wellington":38orml2j said:
I think you may be right about the bull thing, my friend. There isn't much muscle 'round that shoulder bone of my old bull. I think it's about time we retire that old brangus and bring in some fresh meat! Where 'bouts can one find a shorthorn gelbvieh cross like the one you've got or do you have to just breed 'em yourself?

I think you would have to breed that yourself. We don't have a Shorthorn/Gelbv bull, just a cow. Most of our bulls are British, but we have the one that is Simm/Angus.

Depending on what exactly you are running for cows, and what direction you want to go in with them, I would suggest looking into a continental bull, or if you want to stay with the British, just make that a priority when you are looking at bulls. Don't sacrafice the other stuff for it, but add it to the list of things you are looking for. Mind you make sure that the shoulders aren't going to cause you calving problems.

Duke Wellington":qql0x6d9 said:

We cut 7 of them this year. Will probably have about the same next spring. Freight from Colo might be a little steep but the calves are awful nice. PM me and I'll send you some pics. They have muscle and plenty of it

Latest posts