Calf loosing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

bambi_boy

Reaction score
Of course Frank could not be left out with the "teach her to get bottle calves". Frank is loosing hair!

Under "head" jaw area
185119.jpg

Look on rear legs
185420.jpg

Area around eye
185456.jpg

What is this, what do I do?

Kelly

This kind of hair loss is caused by cryptosporidia and usually follows scours cases .The hair will come back in time and the original disease is not a factor, crypto is a self limiting disease .If he has not been wormed I would pour him as part of routine management .

Larry

I would use some generic form of Ivomec pour on . The last I bought I gave $65 for 5 liters and I've heard of some cheaper than that .

Larry

I've got one right now that looks like that. Thank you, Kelly, for posting this...thank you Larry for answering it!

Alice

Sick calves with high fevers tend to suffer hair loss... common enough. Depending on how sick he really was, he may lose hair all down his rump, on his underside (esp between the front legs), base of the ears, neck, etc. It'll grow back in time.

Bambi did loose his hair (and some skin) all down his back side (yes another vet visit) he said that it was "normal" it was the "virus coming out". Frank (the one pictured) did not have NEAR the problems that Bambi did, although he did get the scours for a week. That sucker would NOT have lived if he had what Bambi had, Bambi-boy had a will to live this one didn't. Had to tube him, he would not even stand up! No fever, at all. Just the poops.

I do have to say that no one had mentioned to me before the laughter that I would have when you have 2 babies. They are SO funny!!! After a meal, they run and play. I can run - they chase me. It is FUNNY!

Nothing quite as cute as calves -- especially calves out playing. Enjoy it while it lasts. ;-)

Here's one I had a few years back, pic taken when he started losing hair. Drew some lines back then to show where the hair loss was; don't know where the original picture is so you'll have to settle for the edited version.

Sometimes fever is the cause. Other times its a fungus. If it gets crusty patches in the hair loss area you can wash it with antiseptic mouthwash or the quickest way to get the hair started back is to wash him in bleach water. The hair will begin to come back in a few days.

The store did not have the generic form of Ivomec , but they both got Ivomec pour on today. Gee...why would something be cheap with these two :oops: 45 bucks for a 10 dose bottle (550 pound). Lowest "setting" was 225, so did about half. Frank weighs 130, Bambi boy 90. Yes did less for my little man.

Gee should add those photos to the "newbie" thread.