Calf Feeds...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
There's a lot of questions tossed around on what grains to start bottle calves or calves on in general. I just thought I would post the tags off the feeds I use as in hopes to maybe help someone else. They come from southern states and have been really good feeds. I have used them for a few years now. TB can probably tell you the good bad and ugly of these feeds I can't but this is what I use. There is 2 I use the intensity is my first choice but use the other if they are out of intensity. I am not saying my feed is better than anyone else just want to help some of the new folks that may have access to these feeds see what someone uses.

feed%20tags_zpshinmoodq.png

Without a doubt the "Intensity" is what I'd put in front of my bottle calves from day one and leave them on it until weaning. A high quality feed, highly fortified and some goodies in it. Chelated minerals, yeast products, selenium yeast and probably much higher in energy.

The other feed looks more like a grower although higher in protein than most growers. Nothing wrong with it if it's all you can find but I'd prefer the Intensity by a long shot. Appears those folks at Southern States are on top of their game and know what they're doing. If you don't mind me asking what does a bag of each of these cost you?

TexasBred":3uh7gjx7 said:
Without a doubt the "Intensity" is what I'd put in front of my bottle calves from day one and leave them on it until weaning. A high quality feed, highly fortified and some goodies in it. Chelated minerals, yeast products, selenium yeast and probably much higher in energy.

The other feed looks more like a grower although higher in protein than most growers. Nothing wrong with it if it's all you can find but I'd prefer the Intensity by a long shot. Appears those folks at Southern States are on top of their game and know what they're doing. If you don't mind me asking what does a bag of each of these cost you?

I feed the feed to bottle calves and small calves from the barns and then mix in jumpstart then slowly wean off the calf feed to straight jumpstart and Intensity is $13.30 per bag and Calf developer plus is $12.35 per bag

Intensity is a good product. I've used it in the past, when I had bottle babies. When I wasn't using a nurse cow, I used the Land-O-Lakes Cow's Match milk replacer and start them with the Intensity. It worked well for me, actually it worked well for the calves. ;-)

Workinonit Farm":i1wehc5y said:
Intensity is a good product. I've used it in the past, when I had bottle babies. When I wasn't using a nurse cow, I used the Land-O-Lakes Cow's Match milk replacer and start them with the Intensity. It worked well for me, actually it worked well for the calves. ;-)

:lol2: I have never seen that milk replacer around here

skyhightree1":94fsqxpo said:
I have never seen that milk replacer around here

Hmmm. I used to get it at Southern States/Orange Madison Co-op. They also carried Calf Maker and one or two others. The Cow's Match was the most expensive stuff, but was, pretty much, THE top of the line product. I had tried Calf Maker, both medicated and non-medicated. The calves just did way better on the Cow's Match (when it came to powdered replacements).

skyhightree1":3ft80wmj said:
TexasBred":3ft80wmj said:

I feed the feed to bottle calves and small calves from the barns and then mix in jumpstart then slowly wean off the calf feed to straight jumpstart and Intensity is $13.30 per bag and Calf developer plus is $12.35 per bag
Looks like a great feed to get them started but at $532 a ton that would take a lot of the profit away if you use a lot of it.

kenny thomas":3e20sh6b said:
Looks like a great feed to get them started but at $532 a ton that would take a lot of the profit away if you use a lot of it.

Very true I generally will buy 100 lbs per 5 calves first week feed them nothing but that feed in the bunk.. 2nd week I mix jumpstart in with calf feed and by end of second week its gone and they have started to eat jumpstart only. Probably not the right way to do it but that's what I been doing.

Latest posts