calf feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Irishred

Reaction score
HI all,

My young steer is 6-ish mo now. He just weaned off the bottle and has been eating 6-8 pounds a day of calf feed and ground corn (about a 2 to 1 mix) as well as nice pasture grass. We ran out or the feed this morning and cannot get more until tomorrow. He ate a good bit of just corn this afternoon. He is a bit under weight for his age from fighting off joint ill but has been growing and putting on weight much better.

Do we need to get the calf feed or would just the corn be enough for him?

If we do need to keep him on it, how long does he need the calf feed?

About what does this run in price? (the farm owner had been getting this but since we are not getting the replacer anymore and the co-op does not list prices online just products) Would the prices at tractor & supply co be similar or better/worse than the co-op?

Thank you.

MM, I don't know how much he weighs. I asked a few weeks ago for a guess from the farm owner when we were chatting and he wouldn't say. I know when he steps on my toes it hurts like heck :) I wouldn't want to guess as I have no clue about calf weight/size. Would a picture help? I might be able to get one tomorrow.

At 6 months he should weigh between 500-650 lbs .He still needs additional protein, it does not have to be in the form of a high priced pellet, soybean meal will work fine . I would have the local feed mill put something together . Corn alone will not be enough. Try to plan your feed so that you don't run out .

Larry

Thank you larryshoat. Yes, I know he should weigh a good deal more than he does at his age just by looking at calves in the other pasture. He has put on a good deal of weight and size in the last 4 weeks but is still behind where he should be. ETA: He is not as old as I was thinking. He is almost 5 months old not almost 6mo.

Buying the feed ourselves I will know how much I have and when we need to get more.

Would this feed work? http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... gPage=true
hope the link works, if not that is a 50lb bag of Producer's Pride (tsc brand?) Cattle Feed; Cube; Protein 20.0%, Fat 2.5%, Fiber 4.5% - and says it is "all natural".

The listings on the co-op website are very confusing (at least to me) but I could call them and ask some questions I think. Unfortunately, I would not be the one going, my DH will be.

Well, I just called the co-op and talk to someone about my calf. He recommended mixing a 14% pellet and a 12% natural beef feed. The advantage, he knows the farm owners and what they buy. Was very helpful with the whats and how much.

Thank you all for helping.

KMacGinley":3u5x2q7g said:
You fed him on the bottle for 6 months???? wow.

No, he is 5 months old and I've been slow weaning for a month. Because he had extended illness, he was on full bottle a bit longer than I've read most do on this board, but it is what I was told to do by the farm owners. They said to start weaning a month ago and to be sure he was eating the feed. I have just taken my time to use up the replacer, been a week with just water in the bottle for one feeding and about 1/4 replacer in the other, cutting that back. It has also kept him coming to me when it is dark out (after the kids go to bed) so I don't have to go across the field to get him and I know he is hydrated. I take him the feed any way because the other cows in his field would steal it if I wasn't out there (I know, they have tried :lol2: ) Especially the yearling that was bottle fed last year, he comes over for scratchins all the time and noses the bucket if I don't stay in between.