Calf Down

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sorry Missy.

I have had them get sub normal temperature before and never saved them (when it was due to a infection/illness, rather than just chilled; chilled I can save)

I have gotten their temp back up to normal, but inevitably they plummet again.

Again, sorry.

Dang ~ sorry to hear about your calf. Good on you for the effort. My experience is the same as Kerens ~ I can work with a fever, but once they starting going cold its very very hard row to hoe.

Missy everyone who has been at this long, has lost some. Vets have the best of facilities and they lose them too. It is just part of the business. We all do the best we can for them but some times it is just not enough. A lost calf is lost profit. None of us like to lose.

You sound like a nice one baxter...
I quite often dont understand USA gibberish as you call it but i dont come across rude as you do, i just deal with it!

Rugged up = He has a blanket on (understand that?)
Well you must not know many aussies as alot of us(especially horse people) say "rugged up" quite alot

What else would you like to know? Do i need to explain what Degree's Celcius is for you :?

Keren":2fpibolt said:
Missy, you took the words right out of my mouth ...

I am all rugged up at the moment because it is a bit chilly tonight ... but forget that, if we gave Bax another definition of the phrase he might get too confused :?
Sorry you lost your calf. Never gets easy. Hope you have a better day today.
Where do you get your calf blankets? When my brother was in 4H (many many years ago) he had cow blankets for the cows and calves he showed but ya never seen them anymore.

I use pony and horse blankets for big cattle that are sick. Mini horse and large dog coats for baby calves that are sick.

You can get wool calf blankets which are great for newborns but difficult to put on. Good for calving in really cold weather. Called Woolovers

You can also get specifically made calf blankets like horse rugs but in calfie size.

hehe Keren, I thought "rugged Up" was pretty self explanatory!!! Obviously not :)

Thanks CKC1586, yes feeling much better thanks. I use dog blankets for the calves. Just the simple ones with a velcro strap that goes underneath and and another strap that goes infront of the chest. I have never had to rug a cow before so i am not sure,sorry! I guess you could use horse rugs :D

Latest posts