calf check

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
When we branded the dry cows were kicked up above my house. So every evening I go up to see if there are any new calves that I can find. There is 15 cows on about 300 acres of steep draws and tall sage brush. I have yet to find a new calf. They all look to be 3 or 4 days old the first time I see them. Found another last night. That makes 9 calves I have recorded. Last night I saw 8 cows and 6 calves. I was probably too early they were shaded up. I know there are some over in a draw that has a spring. It is an ordeal to get there. One I didn't feel like doing last night, maybe today. Four cows and calves under a juniper. It was the first time seeing one of these calves. It is a ride the quad to high spots and search with binoculars. Sort of like glassing for deer. In fact I seem to find more deer than calves.

Attachments

• P5132541.JPG
    P5132541.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 22
  • P5132543.JPG
    P5132543.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P5132542.JPG
    P5132542.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 22
When we branded the dry cows were kicked up above my house. So every evening I go up to see if there are any new calves that I can find. There is 15 cows on about 300 acres of steep draws and tall sage brush. I have yet to find a new calf. They all look to be 3 or 4 days old the first time I see them. Found another last night. That makes 9 calves I have recorded. Last night I saw 8 cows and 6 calves. I was probably too early they were shaded up. I know there are some over in a draw that has a spring. It is an ordeal to get there. One I didn't feel like doing last night, maybe today. Four cows and calves under a juniper. It was the first time seeing one of these calves. It is a ride the quad to high spots and search with binoculars. Sort of like glassing for deer. In fact I seem to find more deer than calves.
Cool place

I can see why it would be hard to find a newborn with all that cover. looks like an ideal place to calf if they don't have any problems.

Latest posts