calf can't stand up

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk":3070x6mw said:
Is it possible that the calf laid in a weird position inside the cow, and / or had its back or hips were knocked out of joint during the birth, beside having a possible lack of selenium?
I have seen human babies born with "creaked" necks because they laid in a wierd position inside momma before they were born, and it was known they were laying in a wierd position before birth. (they ended up fine though)
If the calf can move around much I would put her and momma cow in a small pasture by themselves and see what happens. Wouldn't leave her there over night though, dogs might chew her up.
If she can move around a bit it might help her.
Had a couple of bow legged calves years ago.When they were kicked out of the barn to just run and "be calves" , over a couple of weeks their legs straightened right up. They needed the sunshine and exercise. Not saying it would help this calf, but it might.
Nite Hawk
Just had this happen last week. Cow had a heifer calf that looked bow-legged & legs seemed to be up under her , after 3 days she was running & jumping & now seems normal. They get stuck in one position too long. good luck. :cboy:

The heavier she got, the more problems she had. So we donated meat on the hoof this morning, to the Arkansas Native Plant and Wildlife, which is primarily a wildlife rehabilitation facility. Just a few miles from home. They currently have a mountain lion and a couple bobcats. It worked out the meat won't be wasted, I didn't have to dispose of her, and the rehab facility happens to be a 501c3 :cowboy:

Latest posts