Calf born June 26th, when can I..............

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
When can I put my 6 week old calf with the other cows. sSomeone told me at weaning time. 3 months old. Is that correct.

Why not let it run with them now. Even our bottle calves except oxen ran wit hthe cows during the day. At night they got a bottle and their grain. In the morning bottle and grain then turned out for the day.

The only reason ours are seperated in the fall is the smaller pasture is for those that haven't calved (easier access for me if there's problems)... those that calve out are turned out to the bigger pasture with their calf either the day the calf hits the ground or the following morning.

Weaning time is typically at 205 days of age (not 3 months).

Enjoy watching your new calf run (tail in the air) nothing better to see.

DavisBeefmasters":2xk68e0t said:
The only reason ours are seperated in the fall is the smaller pasture is for those that haven't calved (easier access for me if there's problems)... those that calve out are turned out to the bigger pasture with their calf either the day the calf I hits the ground or the following morning.

Weaning time is typically at 205 days of age (not 3 months).

Enjoy watching your new calf run (tail in the air) nothing better to see.

I was told not to put her in with my Herford (cow) and Holstein Heffer, I know the cow is bred, but I am not sure about the Hostein, someone told me that the Holstein can hurt her if she tries to mount the little one. Is this true. Should I let her run.
The vet told me I can wean at 3 months off milk.

We let ours run with the herd when the mama cow brings them into the pasture or pen. Cows can be rather protective of the little ones...always an exception...just twist the ear on a calf and see what happens.
And thats my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

In all fairness you might want to tell him what to look for when he twist that calfs ear...lol

well if a calf let out a little "moo"...its not a matter of if momma is comming its a matter of when

Latest posts