Calf body type and pictures from today

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Today was the day I moved my weaned steers from being with the weaned heifers on hay only to grazing standing corn with the cows and bull.

I have a short fenceline bunk in the corral which is where I give them some sweet feed as a treat - it gets them coming into the corral on their own when called rather than heading to the back 40 when I drive in. I bang on the 5 gal pail a couple times and they are waiting in line. These calves have not had significant grain other than this treat couple pounds every week or two.

I got all of the calves in the corral, closed the gates and watched them from behind for a few minutes before sorting the heifers back out where they came from.

Watching them from behind I was struck by the difference in calf body type between them. These are all from my T-21 bull but the one (#6209) on the left in this picture is also out of one of my more compact 1200 lb target cows. I was struck by the hind end on this 267 day old calf. Also his width. He has a thick winter coat but most of him is NOT hair!

6209 is the steer calf on the left. Maybe this is one even Knersie would like!
IMG_2628_calf_body_type_comparison_.jpg

Here are four calves heading into standing corn for the first time. 6209 is the second from the right. He hardly fits down the rows. The steers started eating the stalks and leaves but it didn't take long for them to focus on ears!
IMG_2645_four_steers_into_corn_firs.jpg

Here is a picture of some cows and heifers entering the new corn front today.
IMG_2642_heading_into_fresh_standin.jpg

And one of my target cows and my T21 bull:
IMG_2659_bull_and_cow_into_fresh_st.jpg

The BWF heifers I was going to sell so put them in with my bull earlier and will be calving around March 1. I sorted them off of the corn today and they are with the weaned heifers on hay only.

My goal is a herd of 1200 lb cows that give me steers like 6209 every year. Looks like he will have a large ribeye area and T21's low backfat. I'm hoping he will be ready to harvest in mid March. I was going to weigh the calves today but just too much snow and ice on and under my scale in the alley. I check it by weighing myself - I'm pretty sure I don't weigh the 110 lb it showed! Especially not after Christmas and NewYears! Probably should tarp the scale section.

FWIW. Jim

JHH":1p6sdjiz said:
Nice as always Jim.

Thanks JHH.

I think of 6209 as an example of what a pure bred Hereford steer CAN look like. Can you imagine taking him to a sale barn and being told he has to sell at a discount because he's not black???!

Jim

Good pictures great lookin Herfs. Keep up the good work. I'd take the steer on the right too.

Very nice looking steers, I like the width of 6209 as well as the one on the right. If you get the chance I would love to see pics of a side shot and a head on shot of at least 6209 if not both...but very nice steers, especially for hay only to this point.

Alan

Would love to see a profile pic of the steer on the lt. They all look nice. You dont worry about them eating too much corn?

Alan":nm4wkfnx said:
Very nice looking steers, I like the width of 6209 as well as the one on the right. If you get the chance I would love to see pics of a side shot and a head on shot of at least 6209 if not both...but very nice steers, especially for hay only to this point.

Alan

Here is the only side view I can find from yesterday - trimmed down. 6209 is the one with his head in the treat feed bunk. Thank you for the kind words. I am pleased with the way they have come along so far with hay only although this is very good hay. 6209 has a shaggy coat but he is not fat. He is solid. He is a smaller frame score like his dam and which I am trying to develop. At weaning he was a 6.0 frame, 205 day adj ww 685 lb, no implants. 4109 on the left with his head turned towards me had a 205 day ww of 733 lb, again no implants.

IMG_2630_foursteerssideview011010.jpg

Roan":3i6ki68d said:
Would love to see a profile pic of the steer on the lt. They all look nice. You dont worry about them eating too much corn?

By limiting their access with electric cross wires I limit their grain intake. Sure they eat a lot of ears for a few days, then they go to the husks, leaves and upper stalks.

Ear corn also has a lot roughage in the cob. I have hay available to them also. This works.

See the profile picture above. Sorry its not better picture but it the only side view of 6209 from yesterday. Jim

Latest posts