Calf 4 weeks early . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Is that possible? No bull with cows - no bull in the neighborhood (in fact - no anything in the neighborhood). Bred AI on observed standing heat. Calf is a healthy bull calf - 65 lbs. Momma doesn't appear to have bagged as much as normal - she looked like she would calve on schedule. Possible late term abortion that lived?

Had two last year, one 25 days early, the other 26 days early. One DOA and the other weighed under 50 pounds and didn't grow worth nothin, 300 pound weaning weight. Same sire both calves. What sire?

D806. Nice calf so far. Bigger than you mentioned. Lot of attitude and fight. Weird.

angus9259":366hbqu8 said:
D806. Nice calf so far. Bigger than you mentioned. Lot of attitude and fight. Weird.

My experience with D806 is that all his calves come early....I didn't have any as early as that- but a couple 21 days early-- and several 10 days early...Weights from 66 to 81-- and all with lots of vigor and a will to live.....Several of the D806 heifers I kept from last year don't have ears or parts of ears- as they were born in cold weather- but they all survived...And no problem with attitude so far.....
One of his daughters- that weighed 72 at birth- topped the scale on the registered heifers last year with a WW of 622- so they can grow..

If I had a big bunch of heifers to calve- he is the bull I would use to make sure I didn't have to lose any sleep.... ;-)

Oldtimer":1i0trwj2 said:
If I had a big bunch of heifers to calve- he is the bull I would use to make sure I didn't have to lose any sleep....;-)

you hit it right on the head I have calved out a few hundred hfrs in the last few yrs that were bred to D806 or sons of his and I love the calves
I think I have only pulled 6 out of 300 calves or so and at least 2 of them were breech

Angus Cowman":1zlsvc7w said:
Oldtimer":1zlsvc7w said:
If I had a big bunch of heifers to calve- he is the bull I would use to make sure I didn't have to lose any sleep....;-)

you hit it right on the head I have calved out a few hundred hfrs in the last few yrs that were bred to D806 or sons of his and I love the calves
I think I have only pulled 6 out of 300 calves or so and at least 2 of them were breech

I have often found laziness to be one of my greatest assets in cattle breeding.
Altho this sums up much of my philosophy in how cattle should work for you - I can't take credit for this quote as I stole it from Ky breeder Mike Keeney...

We've had some born early , those that are born 21 days early will not suck. Doc says the instint to suck is not there yet. Has run true so far. I'm also told that just because you AI on same day, egg may not drop that day and could be delayed but do not know how long it can be delayed to still settle female. You could get a DNA test for parentage.
Valerie

We have also had no bull but had calves come spring - this was long ago. I told hubby cows were preg but he said IMPOSSIBLE, there's no bull. Calves had not been docked yet - had to be them.
Valerie

Yeah, I've been through it a hundred times. No bull. AI. Calf seemed to have too much vigor to actually be 4 weeks early. He's doing great. Bull calves were all pulled off by then.

Idaman":31xy6hdt said:
Oldtimer":31xy6hdt said:
Idaman":31xy6hdt said:
What is the full name or reg. number of D806.

N Bar Prime Time D806 12557724

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1520

Thanks for the info. He has very good numbers or at least ones I like. I tried to buy some Wave heifers this last spring but there were only a couple available. We have been using Homer with good results.

Yeah Wave looks like a good middle of the road bull- except for one thing- and that is his docility EPD which is -21... :shock: Have you had direct experience with his calves or heard from anyone that has on how their dispositions actually are ?

Been using D806 heavily for the past 3-4 years - as a heifer bull, and to downsize some from the bigger high-percentage Simmental/Holstein-influenced cows in the base herd. Not at all uncommon for those D806-sired calves to come 2 weeks early.
First D-806-sired calf we ever had came *5 weeks* early - but I'm thinking something was not right about the cow - calf was small and weak, but we brought him to the house, dried him off, warmed him up and tubed him with colostrum. Took about a day or so, but he came around and was strong enough to go into the corral with his dam, and did just fine.
Cow did not breed back, and took a ride to town.

Have one WAVE-sired steer, out of a D806 daughter, born this spring, and a handful of Wave calves, born in the last month or so - couple of heifers, 3 or 4 bulls- they all look good, no flightier at this point than calves by 6I6, Waukaru Goldmine, or the cleanup bull. Time will tell. I've had reports from a fellow who has seen full-sib sisters of Wave, and they weren't nutty at all - but I've stopped using him until I see if I have any disposition isssues with the ones I've got. Still, calving ease, high $EN and $W, high marbling & REA sure make me want to keep using him.

Lucky_P":3kjv5xdw said:
Been using D806 heavily for the past 3-4 years - as a heifer bull, and to downsize some from the bigger high-percentage Simmental/Holstein-influenced cows in the base herd. Not at all uncommon for those D806-sired calves to come 2 weeks early.
First D-806-sired calf we ever had came *5 weeks* early - but I'm thinking something was not right about the cow - calf was small and weak, but we brought him to the house, dried him off, warmed him up and tubed him with colostrum. Took about a day or so, but he came around and was strong enough to go into the corral with his dam, and did just fine.
Cow did not breed back, and took a ride to town.

Have one WAVE-sired steer, out of a D806 daughter, born this spring, and a handful of Wave calves, born in the last month or so - couple of heifers, 3 or 4 bulls- they all look good, no flightier at this point than calves by 6I6, Waukaru Goldmine, or the cleanup bull. Time will tell. I've had reports from a fellow who has seen full-sib sisters of Wave, and they weren't nutty at all - but I've stopped using him until I see if I have any disposition isssues with the ones I've got. Still, calving ease, high $EN and $W, high marbling & REA sure make me want to keep using him.
We used an old time angus bull Northlander, for a number of years. Calves were all 2-3 weeks early and weighed in the 45-55 lb range. Looked like a bunch of little dogs out with the cows. At weaning they had almost caught everyone else, as yearlings they out weighed them and outsized them, 7 plus frame. But those calves took a lot of groceries to get from weaning to butcher or yealring growth.
We used 6I6 a copule of times and his calves were all 2-3 plus weeks early and tiny. But they grew like weeds and outweighed most of their contemporarys at weaning. They also finished in the feedlot a month or more earlier then the others.

Thanks for the info. He has very good numbers or at least ones I like. I tried to buy some Wave heifers this last spring but there were only a couple available. We have been using Homer with good results.[/quote]

Yeah Wave looks like a good middle of the road bull- except for one thing- and that is his docility EPD which is -21... :shock: Have you had direct experience with his calves or heard from anyone that has on how their dispositions actually are ?[/quote]

No to both questions. We went heavily instead with DDA Fahren 21X.

Latest posts