Cactus

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
Anyone out there got a good way of getting rid of cactus. I was told by my neighbor that he just kept baling it up and it's now starting to dissappear. I know I can go out and grub it up and burn it but would like to know if there is an easier way. I've herd of different spray combinations but haven't tried any yet. By the way its in my costal.

Dow just this year came out with Surmound. I have use about 5 gal. on some catus in two pastures and seeing good results already. I use tordon 22K before this year but it takes a year or so to see results. Within 2 or 3 hours you will see the catus loose their shen and start turing yellow in a week or so I hope this helps.

I failed to mention that i mixed it with water and a surfaction (sp). Ialso used a dye and that really helped with seeing where i sprayed. Hope this helps.

endebt":34fc3mfq said:
I failed to mention that i mixed it with water and a surfaction (sp). Ialso used a dye and that really helped with seeing where i sprayed. Hope this helps.
What kind of die? Food coloring?

denoginnizer":1j2rsbi1 said:
endebt":1j2rsbi1 said:
What kind of die? Food coloring?

Not food coloring. You can buy a special dye to mix in the tank, it will show where you have been. You can get it at most farm supply places. Its to expensive as far as I'm concerned. I just go by my tractor tracks.

endebt":2kmhbisy said:
Dow just this year came out with Surmound. I have use about 5 gal. on some catus in two pastures and seeing good results already. I use tordon 22K before this year but it takes a year or so to see results. Within 2 or 3 hours you will see the catus loose their shen and start turing yellow in a week or so I hope this helps.

Was this "Surmound" very expensive?
Since this stuff seems to work, I suppose you have to have a license to buy it right?
Do you have to get it special or can I get it from our local fertilizer/chemical plant?

I think it is called Surmount.

I'm not sure what it costs.

My first set of plants I used desiel and Tordon 22k. I may have over appilied it, but it was very effective.

Then, I used Tordon 22K, surfactant, and blue dye on individual plants. It took about 3 months, but I'm seeing great results.

Sorry for the misspell words. I paid 125.00 for 2and 1/2 gals. Tordon is up to 90 some $ a gal. The dye cost me 55.00 a gal but you only use 6 oZ. to 15 gal. So a gal goes a long way. Also when you use the dye i don't seem to over spray so much and waste chemicals. I use a 4 wheeler and you can look over where you sprayed and see any you have missed Hope this is some help.

Latest posts