Buying Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

warden

Reaction score
I am just getting ready to buy my first herd Wanted to ask you all a ? I looked at two seperate herds one herd was a fairly nice set of young cows had small calfs and not the best bags but ok. He was asking 900 for the pairs and 850 for the bred cows 7-9 months bred. I looked at some A1 cattle lastnight had big calfs nic ebags and was very calm was just a great bunch of cattle he is asking 1200 a pair and 1075 for the bred springers what would you do ? I just thought 1200 was high but i kow they really arent. He is taking these cattle to a special sale in sep should i wait and try and buy them at the sale or buy them now.

Some cattle are more marketable than others. Could this be part of the difference. You didn't mention the sires that should be part of the figuring. Those price are pretty much in line with sale barn and private treaty prices here. With a private treaty sale you don't hear too much about mismatched pairs(wrong momma or wrong calf) but happens more frequently from the sale barn. Not saying it the sale barns fault but it happens.
And it's pain to deal with.

I have been good stuff sale high and at the sale barn you dont know what you are getting these cows are great cows and have a big calf on them and are bred back

sounds like you've made your decision

If the second guy will let you buy some cows and not all of them at that price, I would find the ones that really trip my trigger and get them. Then I'ld go to the sale and pick up any bargains that may be available. Everytime I've passed on private treaty cows then gone to a sale where they were I've ended up coming home with an empty trailer.

dun

Let's see:

1. Bad bags small calves $900

2. Good cattle Large calves $1200 How large are the calves? $300 difference in price. This would cover the difference between the two groups if the calves are big enough.

I would always go with the best quality possible, especially bags, at the sale coming up you will have competition. I would get them now, if I was in the market for cows. Good Luck :D

Sounds to me like toe 1200$ pairs would be the way to go.

The cows are bred back, that will save on bull or AI.

The bags and disposition, very important.

Don't wait for the sale, buy now.

If they go to sale, the pairs will be sold separatly. If the calves weigh 500 lbs your talking 600$ per calf.

Any good young cow bred to calve in season will bring at least 700$ more like about 850.

What breed are the cattle? What are the weights of the Cattle?What are they bred to? :?:

mnmt

Warden, when you say big calves, I am not sure what size you mean, but if they weigh 400 lbs, they are worth 1.40 per pound or more. That is 560 and if the cows weigh 1200, they are worth 50 cents to kill, that is 600. So, you have pairs that are worth 1160 or more for slaughter price and you are getting them for 1200, the calves will put on another 200 lbs by Nov and you have over 700 dollar calves. The 900 dollar cows are common and poor bags, and small calves. To me, if you can afford them, the nice cows with big calves and bred back are definitely the way to go and I would buy them now before someone else does. That sounds like a very good price if they are good ages. A neighbor of mine just gave 1500 per pair for 41 decent black cows with 350 lb calves, most bred back, but not all. Good luck with your decision

the calfs weight 225 to 275 the cows weight 1000 to 1200 just guesing just really good cattle they have been running with a charlois bull most of these cattle are angus some mixed .

Also these cattle have been vacinated and wormed twice most of the work is done with theses cattle. I know i could save 300 up front but dont know about the end.

Bad bags = soon to be culled. I personally would go with the better quality and fewer numbers bought.

Start with crap end up with crap.

What is easier to live with.....buy the better animals or wish that you had a few years down the road?

IMO...I wish that I had bought the best cows that I could have found instead of having to cull after the next calving season.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Buying a herd at your one stop shop is a good way for one man to cull his herd.
Stay away from springers you are starting out trainwrecks waitng to happen.
Go buy a few 3 in 1's and start slow.

You can get quality cattle cheaper right now if you shop the right areas. Parts of Texas and Oklahoma are devastated by drought. Lots of good cattle to be had a lot cheaper than 1200 bucks.

Yes, Their are many good cattle to be had right now. However, the very good cattle are still holding their own. Go to the stockyard and watch em sell. Many cull cattle selling for $400 a head and when a very nice young cow comes in the ring she will sell for $800 to $1200. Yes, the good ones still shine, even in a drought.

Latest posts