Buying calves??

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a question (well I'm sure it will end up being more than one question but here it goes). We (my dad and I) have sold our cow herd. We have had our farm for sale with no buyer as of yet and we just don't want the farm to sit idle. So, we are thinking of buying a group of calves (400lbs or so) to feed during the winter. We are in GREAT shape on grass since our cows are gone. We only have 4 calves that were late bloomers that we kept when we sold the cows. They weigh around 400lbs and we would like to buy maybe 16 more for an even 20. We should have to feed VERY LITTLE hay given the amount of stockpiled fecsue on hand. Also, I have a friend in the feed business and I can purchase very good quality feed from him for $140/ton. I'm not sure what feed is in you guys/gals areas, but in my area that price is EXTREMELY good for this day and time. Now on to my main question. What do I need to look for in calves when buying at the local sale ring? I am used to buying only cows and just wondered what the key points are to look for in a calf that you plan to feed and sale for the gain. Should I try to stick with one color basically? A couple more things now. Correct me if I am wrong, but is about 5lbs. per head/day a good place to start on calves that size as far as grain goes being that they will also have all the grass they can eat? I am looking to hold them for 120-150 days with a conservative goal (hopefully) of around 1.5lb per day average gain. Does this sound feasible? Some of you will probably ask me for the fat/protein content of the feed and I cannot remember right off the top of my head. But he does test all his feed and it is good quality. I want to say around 12-14% protein but don't hold me to it. Anyway, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

You'll probably get a lot of answers that you will have to sort through.

If you can get a uniform group put together the final sale group you sell will bring more money. Not just color but size and body confirmation etc. As whoever buys them can sell them as a bigger group also. Just because you start with a uniform group doesn't mean they will all grow the same but you will have a better chance of it.
I Suggest that you start them the first 48 hours on hay and plenty of fresh water and maybe a 1/2 to pound of feed per day them increase the grain over 4-5 days to a week to3-5 pounds/hd/day. I wouldn't feed much over 5 pounds at anytime as your goal should be to capitalize on the stockpiled grass and if you give them too much grain they will get lazy.
Good luck. I hope you have good weather.

If you can keep your costs down, you should be able to make some money. It's also better to have those cows keeping the place clean rather than the bush-hog.

I'm doing kind of the same thing right now. Fixin' to move the cows out to a neighbors' cornfield and surrounding hayland, so I won't have much of anything at home to feed; only the bull and some first time heifers. So, I figured I would buy some calves to feed through the winter. I'm trying to buy healthy 3 weight steer, mostly red, because they're cheaper here. I've bought eight calves so far that match up pretty well for $266 dollars a piece. The only way I can foresee losing any money is if they die. As far as feed, I would recommend a bulky feed given free choice. I will be using Corn Gluten and soy hulls 50/50. (I think. Might change my mind after I see the next price). That mix is nominal 13% protein, usually higher.

Z&J Cattle":1n4hkgsj said:
Hello all. I have a question (well I'm sure it will end up being more than one question but here it goes). We (my dad and I) have sold our cow herd. We have had our farm for sale with no buyer as of yet and we just don't want the farm to sit idle. So, we are thinking of buying a group of calves (400lbs or so) to feed during the winter. We are in GREAT shape on grass since our cows are gone. We only have 4 calves that were late bloomers that we kept when we sold the cows. They weigh around 400lbs and we would like to buy maybe 16 more for an even 20. We should have to feed VERY LITTLE hay given the amount of stockpiled fecsue on hand. Also, I have a friend in the feed business and I can purchase very good quality feed from him for $140/ton. I'm not sure what feed is in you guys/gals areas, but in my area that price is EXTREMELY good for this day and time. Now on to my main question. What do I need to look for in calves when buying at the local sale ring? I am used to buying only cows and just wondered what the key points are to look for in a calf that you plan to feed and sale for the gain. Should I try to stick with one color basically? A couple more things now. Correct me if I am wrong, but is about 5lbs. per head/day a good place to start on calves that size as far as grain goes being that they will also have all the grass they can eat? I am looking to hold them for 120-150 days with a conservative goal (hopefully) of around 1.5lb per day average gain. Does this sound feasible? Some of you will probably ask me for the fat/protein content of the feed and I cannot remember right off the top of my head. But he does test all his feed and it is good quality. I want to say around 12-14% protein but don't hold me to it. Anyway, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

HEALTH. There is nothing more important when buying calves. The best way to insure health is buying calves that have had a good vaccination program and look healthy. Be nice if they were bunk broke and weaned also. It sounds like you are looking to sell them at around 800#, so you might try to find some buyers of that weight cattle and ask them what type calves they will be looking for. The COOL rules when need to be tended to also.

Latest posts