Buying a New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Well I hate the thought of it, but it looks like it's time to bite the bullet and purchase a new truck. Being a faithful GMC man my entire life, I am actually leaning towards the F350 4x4 Diesel flatbed for my next truck (farm truck).

The reason for the post is this... as much as I would like to purchase locally, all of my research on line is seriously pushing me towards making the trip to Texas to purchase the truck. We are not talking about a few thousand dollars here... we are talking more like $10,000.00 saving on the exact same set-up!!

Anyone else experience this or have traveled out of state to purchase a vehicle? Looking for the Pro's and Con's of it. Also, if you are from Texas is there a specific Ford dealer you would recommend for purchasing a new Ford truck?

A friend of mine just bought one in Colorado last week. (his older Ford F350 broke down while hauling his motorhome to the Rock Springs nationals rodeo) He said all the hassles you go through when buying one locally just about doubles when you are out of state. Mainly just alot of talking on the phone, faxing..etc. Good luck!

Never went out of state to buy one, but have went a couple hundred miles north in Missouri to save several thousand. Ford isn't my first choice for running gear, but IMO they have some of the best color options, and a good looking truck.

Be careful in Texas. They have some funny rules on transfering title(tag) in and out of state. My daughter moved there and they had to pay several hundred dollars to tag her worn out Mustang in Texas the first time.

There is a huge dealer in a small no where town in Northern Idaho. Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho. It is amazing how many Dodge trucks you see in this area (350 miles away in another state) with a license plate frame from Dave Smith. I know one guy who bought a truck from them. He said it was about the easiest deal he ever made. But that dealership is set up to sell vehicles out of state. They probably sell more vehicles that go out of state than they sell within their state.

TN Cattle Man":6wraddgw said:
Well I hate the thought of it, but it looks like it's time to bite the bullet and purchase a new truck. Being a faithful GMC man my entire life, I am actually leaning towards the F350 4x4 Diesel flatbed for my next truck (farm truck).

The reason for the post is this... as much as I would like to purchase locally, all of my research on line is seriously pushing me towards making the trip to Texas to purchase the truck. We are not talking about a few thousand dollars here... we are talking more like $10,000.00 saving on the exact same set-up!!

Anyone else experience this or have traveled out of state to purchase a vehicle? Looking for the Pro's and Con's of it. Also, if you are from Texas is there a specific Ford dealer you would recommend for purchasing a new Ford truck?

You call Bill Boyt at Mid-Tenn Ford Truck in Nashville and I promise you you'll get the truck you want at a price you can live with. PM me and I'll give you my name to use as a referral reference.

http://midtennfordtrucks.com/

Bought my Tundra in Kansas City Ks 3 years ago. Saved thousands because they(toyotas) are not as popular out there as they are in Colorado. Dealer picked me up at the Airport and i was out the door in 2 hours with a full tank of gas!

3way, that is what they are saying out in Texas... if I decide to fly out there they will pick me up at the airport! They claim the reason they can sell at that rate is strictly due to volume. Texas sells 18% of all trucks in the nation.

I still have some research to do and I will give the Tennessee dealerships the opportunity to at least match the price (comparing apples-to-apples)!

Thanks to all for the replies!

Brian

I just saw a ad for trucks about like you are talking about, it was for 2013 4 door 4x4 diesel xlt they were right at 40k. I didn't k ow if you were looking at 4 doors or regular cabs, I just thought I would tell what I saw. I thought that seemed high myself but I know fords are that way in genarel.

denvermartinfarms":2ji83rot said:
I just saw a ad for trucks about like you are talking about, it was for 2013 4 door 4x4 diesel xlt they were right at 40k. I didn't k ow if you were looking at 4 doors or regular cabs, I just thought I would tell what I saw. I thought that seemed high myself but I know fords are that way in genarel.
That's about right... I am looking for the 4-door (crew cab) with certain features... XL Package, 6.7 diesel, on and on... With the bed that I want installed I should be in the 43K-45K range.

The search continues!!

TN Cattle Man":e54wajcd said:
denvermartinfarms":e54wajcd said:
That's about right... I am looking for the 4-door (crew cab) with certain features... XL Package, 6.7 diesel, on and on... With the bed that I want installed I should be in the 43K-45K range.

The search continues!!

The xl I saw didnt have a cruise control and had manual windows
Seems like with rebates they were was around 35k
The xlt was 40-45k depending on options
All were 4x4
The rebates change all the time so it varies some

TN Cattle Man":3nepku3k said:
denvermartinfarms":3nepku3k said:

The search continues!!

Just remember if you buy a chassis cab truck it will have the neutered version of the 6.7. This version is a single turbo with 300 hp and 660 ft-lbs, not the 400 hp and 800 ft-lb version that they put in the pickups. You might already know this, but I have talked to a few people who have bought new chassis 6.7's not knowing this and they complained that they did not have the power of the 6.4 that they had before.

hillbilly beef man":23egaemb said:
TN Cattle Man":23egaemb said:
denvermartinfarms":23egaemb said:

The search continues!!

Just remember if you buy a chassis cab truck it will have the neutered version of the 6.7. This version is a single turbo with 300 hp and 660 ft-lbs, not the 400 hp and 800 ft-lb version that they put in the pickups. You might already know this, but I have talked to a few people who have bought new chassis 6.7's not knowing this and they complained that they did not have the power of the 6.4 that they had before.
Wow I didn't know that. Dodge does a little of that on a cab and chassis and they change it a little for each transimission but not that bad .

Dodged does the exact same thing. Their chassis cab has 320 hp and 650 ft-lbs. GM does this as well. This is because of a EPA regulation that started with model year 2011 that all chassis cab diesel must have less hp and tourque than their pickup counterparts. With any one of the three brands if you want a full hp chassis cab you have to buy a pickup and take the bed off of it. Just another example of your wonderfull goverment saving you from yourself.

hillbilly beef man":wrel2rg3 said:
Dodged does the exact same thing. Their chassis cab has 320 hp and 650 ft-lbs. GM does this as well. This is because of a EPA regulation that started with model year 2011 that all chassis cab diesel must have less hp and tourque than their pickup counterparts. With any one of the three brands if you want a full hp chassis cab you have to buy a pickup and take the bed off of it. Just another example of your wonderfull goverment saving you from yourself.
The dodge site says the 2013 3500 cab and chassis cummins is 325hp and 750lbs of torque at 3000 rpm's.

I believe you will find that cab and chassis hp ratings are formulated differently than pickups. I have a 11 cab and chassis and it has all the power you need. Russell Barnett Ford in Winchester,TN has an ad in the Fastline that has several cab and chassis with beds on them.

Dave":1toms5sw said:
There is a huge dealer in a small no where town in Northern Idaho. Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho. It is amazing how many Dodge trucks you see in this area (350 miles away in another state) with a license plate frame from Dave Smith. I know one guy who bought a truck from them. He said it was about the easiest deal he ever made. But that dealership is set up to sell vehicles out of state. They probably sell more vehicles that go out of state than they sell within their state.
Dave Smith in Kellogg is where my Dodge/ Cummins was purchased, Good Folks

TN Cattle Man":aahjcfb7 said:

Henson in Madisonville Texas has Ford and Dodge, dang near everyone in this part of the world goes over there to buy.

Dave":1f2xk9qt said:
Dave Smith sells a lot of rigs, all over the country. There is also a place in Butler, MO, that does all-over marketing like Dave Smith does. Not sure that this adds anything to the Butler outfit's credibility, but it is now a reality show, too -- "Guns, God and Trucks" or something similar with transposed words.

Latest posts