Buyer Beware - Lucky

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Lucky, you and I were at a Bull Sale recently. This will be of particular interest to you because you talked to the gentleman that told me the story I am providing below. Lucky, you know who I am talking about. Keep it secret.

A gentleman bought a bull at the Sale. This gentleman selected a bull that he knew was going to sell somewhere in the later part of the sale. He walked around the bull in the pen. Paying attention to feet and movement. The bull had a scrotal score of 47 cm. Outstanding and scrotal score correlates well with fertility so the gentleman was attentive to that trait.

About a week after getting the bull home, he noticed a limp on the right rear foot. He got the bull in the chute. Upon close examination, he determined that the bull was in the early stages of screw claw. While he had the bull in the chute, he decided to check the BSE. The scrotum was 41 not 47. Still excellent, but too much difference to account for as a measurement mistake. Upon microscopic examination of the semen, he determined that the evaluation while passing was also fudged.

Buyer Beware!

My 2 cents worth. He should report the results to the sale organizers, the breed association and the state vet.

That's a refund if I ever heard of one. Can't they read a tape measure in Kentucky? I know the educational system's a little weak, but it's pretty easy to do. :hide:

Bestoutwest":v6wqi2by said:
That's a refund if I ever heard of one. Can't they read a tape measure in Kentucky? I know the educational system's a little weak, but it's pretty easy to do. :hide:

Watch it. Watch it. :lol:

Dun. This gentleman is no rookie. He knows what recourse is available. He did not tell me what he was going to do. So I did not ask.

I am kind of leery of buying a bull at a sale, particularly a consignment sale. I know lots of them are bought and sold that way
with probably no issues. A few years ago, I bought a bull at a sale, he was the second highest seller, nothing like the prices of the last 2-3 years though. He looked and seemed healthy. Within under two weeks of having him, he lost considerable condition, and seemed very sick. Had two different vets with him, the second vet diagnosed him as having hardware disease.
I have not had an issue with that prior, but knew it could happen at any time. Contacted the breeder, he said something about a heifer having some kind of similar issue, but would not make any compensation. I didn't hold it against him, what ever it was could have been picked up here, and I don't know if it would be possible to have been inside for long without affecting the bull.
There are several good sources for bulls close by, and I have also been raising some of my own also since then.

Ky hills":ok7ujjyc said:
I am kind of leery of buying a bull at a sale, particularly a consignment sale. I know lots of them are bought and sold that way
with probably no issues. A few years ago, I bought a bull at a sale, he was the second highest seller, nothing like the prices of the last 2-3 years though. He looked and seemed healthy. Within under two weeks of having him, he lost considerable condition, and seemed very sick. Had two different vets with him, the second vet diagnosed him as having hardware disease.
I have not had an issue with that prior, but knew it could happen at any time. Contacted the breeder, he said something about a heifer having some kind of similar issue, but would not make any compensation. I didn't hold it against him, what ever it was could have been picked up here, and I don't know if it would be possible to have been inside for long without affecting the bull.
There are several good sources for bulls close by, and I have also been raising some of my own also since then.

Mr. Winchester: What a cool name for a county seat. :cowboy:

I would not be afraid to buy at a consignment sale. I know several Simmental Breeders in KY who consign and have been to most of their farms.

inyati13":31fildxx said:
Bestoutwest":31fildxx said:

Dun. This gentleman is no rookie. He knows what recourse is available. He did not tell me what he was going to do. So I did not ask.
The state vet was by this morning so I asked him about it. He says those number could be completely legit. But and it's a huge but, he would be concerned about a possible infection in the nuts. He says another BSE in 6 months would definitly be in order.
We had a bull that was 48cm at 11 months. His first year he bred good, his second year he left almost everything open. Did a BSE and his nuts had turned to mush and his scrotal was down in the mid 30s. The possible infection or injury is something to think about.

dun":2u4fx7dq said:
inyati13":2u4fx7dq said:
Bestoutwest":2u4fx7dq said:

The state vet was by this morning so I asked him about it. He says those number could be completely legit. But and it's a huge but, he would be concerned about a possible infection in the nuts. He says another BSE in 6 months would definitly be in order.
We had a bull that was 48cm at 11 months. His first year he bred good, his second year he left almost everything open. Did a BSE and his nuts had turned to mush and his scrotal was down in the mid 30s. The possible infection or injury is something to think about.

That is something that might account for that big a difference and might not be obvious for another couple months. I will pass it on. Thanks.

Sounds like a bad situation. A problem will arrive sooner or later no matter what breeder you are. Hopefully the seller and the buyer will work together in an adequate way with neither party getting to upset and come to an agreeable solution. I'm a bit curious of what sale it was but if you don't want to tell that's fine.

Flying L: sent you a PM.

I would anticipate that the consigners to that sale will 'make good'; they're all reputable breeders.
A BSE is a 'snapshot in time'... It's a picture of what is TODAY...
How things are a month, 3 months, a year later... can change significantly.

Latest posts