Butyrac/24dB Grazing Restrictions

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
So my wonderful husband decided to spray our hay fields and pasturesee with butyrac (24dB) yesterday... he gets an A for effort for putting the animals in at least. He sprayed for dandelions, in alfalfa, clover, grass mix pastures n hay. After reading the precautions it says no grazing or hay making for 30/60 days on alfalfa feilds. He hadn't read this (he's not the animal guy... didn't really cross his mind) he just figured it was like regular 24D, a 7 day restriction. My question is, has anyone grazed cattle, horses or hogs on a pasture sprayed with butyrac/24dB sooner than the 60 days? Nothings getting butchered here till fall, but would prefer to not drop over dead any of my angus, the horse (actually... on 2nd thought. .. lol) or our grazed sows.

Unfortunately, the label is the law and the label for 2,4 D-B says "Do not graze established alfalfa or feed straw or hay from treated established alfalfa to livestock within 30 days after application. Do not feed or graze seedling alfalfa, or seedling birdsfoot trefoil within 60 days of application."

One time when I was a county agent, I had gentleman bring in a jug of MSMA that he had used to spray his horse pasture. After spraying he read the label which said do not graze of feed clippings to livestock. I called the manufacturer for him to find out how long it would be before he could turn out on the field. The company said one full grazing season. Needless to say, the man was not happy. When using pesticides - READ THE LABEL before you use the product.

Latest posts