buttermilk biscuits

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think a recipe is enough-
I had a neighbor help me time after time to make biscuits- hers were perfect and mine either crumbled or would bounce off a wall.
Same recipe, same ingredients, same oven.
She finally gave up on me making biscuits, and the family begged me to give up trying :(

Short answer(since I work with a lot of great cooks and a Chef or two) Whatever recipe or mix you decide to use. Work the dough as minimally as possible. That will improve the texture and quality more than anything else you can do.

well I kind of need that good recipe still, something that someone uses all the time.Thanks

No promises, but here's what I do.
Preheat oven to 450. Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet w/ crisco.
Gently whisk together 2 cups white lily self-rising flour, a pinch each of salt and sugar. In a measuring cup, stir together 2/3 cup each whipping cream and buttermilk. Stir wet ingredients into dry, using only as much wet as needed to make dough a proper consistency. Use all-purpose flour to pinch off dough and hand-roll to shape each biscuit. (Sometimes it makes a smidge too much for the skillet, so I end up throwing a bit out.) Bake until well browned.
More art than science I'm afraid. Good luck, and be sure you're in a good mood when you make them; the love makes them.

That's about what we do. Like 3way said, don't work it too hard. Also put the bisquits as close together as possible so it will force them up. They will be fluffier this way.

I can only make'em the way my mom taught me. Start with the dry ingredients piled on the kitchen counter, make a hole in the center of the pile and pour the milk in a little at a time while folding the dry in lightly toward the center. As others have said fold it just as much as you have to, to make dough. I make dumplings the same way, just fold the dough a few more times so that they will stay together while cooking. Mix it too much and you can plug a tire with'em.

Try this one GMN ,it seems to be what everyone was describing but with the measurements .
Best of luck :tiphat:
I agree to that somethings need to be either prepared with love or anger to achieve perfection, sometimes there is no in between . :lol:

Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilled
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

Notes
MA MAE'S BISCUITS

Advice courtesy Mae Skelton

I don't have much use for recipes but the one you get on a bag of White Lily(r) self-rising flour is hard to beat. And it's a lot easier than the one my crazy grandson dreamed up.

That's the one hd, only variation is I don't put the butter in the mix. but brush it on top before putting them in the oven, helps them brown on top.

I make the same recipe except sometimes I add an egg to it. We call them scones - our biscuits are supposed to be crunchy and flat!!

I recommend not using Martha Stewart's recipe- it's a lot of trouble and they're not too good. Her sausage gravy recipe is pretty good but the nutmeg was a little weird.

Latest posts