Butchering crippled cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I had a fella tell me the other day that he was having a cow butchered that had got hurt someway when it was having a calve.

Something like that would not be fitten to eat would it ? Anthoer guy told me about one he had butchered that dog's had chewed its nose off.

I have herd that there is alot of difference in the way one taste if it was just taken off of grass verse's one that was grained feed to have butchered.

And it looks like it would be dangerous eating one if it had just recently been vacinnated would'nt it ?

Stepper":2lwe8mtw said:
I had a fella tell me the other day that he was having a cow butchered that had got hurt someway when it was having a calve.

Something like that would not be fitten to eat would it ? Anthoer guy told me about one he had butchered that dog's had chewed its nose off.

It's a matter of personal preference - we've butchered crippled animals and we've butchered non-crippled animals. I can't tell the difference and no one complained about the steaks for dinner. Stop and think about it for a moment, why would a calving injury lessen the quality of the meat - unless she was allowed to gimp around for several months, in which case the resulting meat would probably be tough in some areas due to over-use? Is a calving injury going to affect anything other than the nerves and ligaments in the pelvic area - again, depending on how long between the injury and slaughter and the condition of the cow? If this was an older cow, then yes, the meat is probably not going to be as tender as a yearling steer - but it will still be completely edible.

I have herd that there is alot of difference in the way one taste if it was just taken off of grass verse's one that was grained feed to have butchered.

Again, it's a matter of personal preference. I've ate grass finished beef and I've ate corn finished beef - I personally can't tell any difference. Neither can the folks we gave steaks and roasts to. Just as a matter of reference, we've always finished and ate our own beef - for about the last 50 years.

And it looks like it would be dangerous eating one if it had just recently been vacinnated would'nt it ?

That depends on the vaccine and the withdrawal period - which, by the way, is clearly stated on the bottle.

Stepper":3gs2uyo1 said:

Better than a total loss

The area around the injury may not be good, ther emay be brusing and bloodshot. But the rest of it should be okay. Don't get the wrong idea, it isn't going to be like eating an 18 month old grain fed steer, but it's better than letting it go to waste.

Opinions vary on this subject. In my opionion there is a difference.

All medication including vaccinations have a label with instructions on it for how many days must pass between administratin and slaughter. So in some cases the animal cannot be used for human consumpton.

I was given part of a yearling steer a couple of years ago that had caught and broken it's leg on a piece of machinery. The meat had a bad taste to it, similar to the "gamey" taste of deer. I was told this was due to adrenaline buildup from the steer struggling in panic at the pain before he was killed. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Could also be the fact that the carcass wasn't handled and cooled properly. The hormone build up would also cause a taste difference.
IMO, Grass fed beef is more flavorful than grain fed...that beefy taste is better. DMc

Susie David":2hzix3ah said:
IMO, Grass fed beef is more flavorful than grain fed...that beefy taste is better. DMc

I would agree with that. But, also less tender, at least in my experience.

Hasbeen":5uc3igw1 said:
I was given part of a yearling steer a couple of years ago that had caught and broken it's leg on a piece of machinery. The meat had a bad taste to it, similar to the "gamey" taste of deer. I was told this was due to adrenaline buildup from the steer struggling in panic at the pain before he was killed. Anyone else ever hear of this?

We've been slaughtering our own for ~25 yr (about 1.5 animals/yr) & have had (2) "dark cutters" that have much blood in the meat as a result of excessive adrenaline in the system (hamburger is sticky & all the meat is very dark in color). The first one we didn't even suspect a problem nor had we ever heard of if until we went to pick up our beef. The slaughter folk said they were sorry but this was one of those animals that needed to be shot in the pasture, then butchered. I asked why & the explanation was that she never settled down while awaiting slaughter & had flooded her body with adrenaline & the resultant blood flow tainted the meat (at least that is their story). The second time was some years later when I tried to load the steer on the truck & he went crazy (charging me & doing anything & everything not to get on that truck). Finally got him to the slaughter house the day before he was to be slaughtered hoping that he would settle down & the meat would be ok - wrong. The resultant meat had a very strong taste that was gamey & to me a bit liver like in flavor - we threw most of that animal away!

Carnavore":37rhumu9 said:
Susie David":37rhumu9 said:

I would agree with both statements - from my perspective the grass fed animals just take longer to reach slaughter weight, thus are older & naturally are a bit less tender.

Farminlund":3og7beuc said:
Carnavore":3og7beuc said:
Susie David":3og7beuc said:

I would agree with both statements - from my perspective the grass fed animals just take longer to reach slaughter weight, thus are older & naturally are a bit less tender.

Actually I've been working on the grass fed beef for a while. And I'm getting happy with the results. Good quality beef- tender,looks good with a pleasing taste. Finishing takes a few months longer than grain, thru genetics we are working to shorten that. We are getting close to 16 to 18 months finishing, ( I hope) with 1100 pound steers. Now working to increase my grass fed herd along the same lines. You need to throw what you know about grain-fed out the window, none of it works.

Bluestem":1f69cjtr said:
Farminlund":1f69cjtr said:
Carnavore":1f69cjtr said:
Susie David":1f69cjtr said:

Actually I've been working on the grass fed beef for a while. And I'm getting happy with the results. Good quality beef- tender,looks good with a pleasing taste. Finishing takes a few months longer than grain, thru genetics we are working to shorten that. We are getting close to 16 to 18 months finishing, ( I hope) with 1100 pound steers. Now working to increase my grass fed herd along the same lines. You need to throw what you know about grain-fed out the window, none of it works.

You guys keeping telling yourselves this stuff and maybe that will make it true, but as for me, I'll take a good grain fed steak anyday. If I want the taste of grassfed beef, I'll go out back and shoot a deer. :p :D

KMacGinley":2vdnegcg said:
[If I want the taste of grassfed beef, I'll go out back and shoot a deer. :p :D

I do that too. Backstrap from a spike buck is the best tasting meat ever...Think I'll have some tonight! :D

Bluestem":1livlt5q said:
Farminlund":1livlt5q said:
Carnavore":1livlt5q said:
Susie David":1livlt5q said:

This 1100 pound finished steer is that like a jersey it sounds maybe alittle light to be finished. But like you said finished on grass. skin and bones

Bluestem":1kbck7d3 said:
Red Angus cows weigh about 1000 pounds.

I understand you must have mispoke in your previous post you said steers. You must have a unique feeding program there. You can turn a heifer calf into a pregnant heifer have her give birth and fatten her up for slaughter and all of that in 18 months. And all that on just grass that must be some amazing grass.

somn":s3lcqmgt said:
This 1100 pound finished steer is that like a jersey it sounds maybe alittle light to be finished. But like you said finished on grass. skin and bones

I would say you are stuck in the 1960-1970's on what is required to produce good tasting beef or need an introduction into some cattle that will marble without the assistance of grain. Either way, come on over & we'll grill a grass fed Angus steak & you'll be able to reassess your thought process & become a convert (you won't be the first I've indoctrinated).

Farminlund":3u6hy0jc said:
somn":3u6hy0jc said:

I would say you are stuck in the 1960-1970's on what is required to produce good tasting beef or need an introduction into some cattle that will marble without the assistance of grain. Either way, come on over & we'll grill a grass fed Angus steak & you'll be able to reassess your thought process & become a convert (you won't be the first I've indoctrinated).

I don't believe I ever said grass fed can't be good tasting. Bluestem wrote (You need to throw what you know about grain fed out the window, none of it works) I only replied that he has unique feeding program to be able to do all that he does in such a short period of time and on only grass. I like the rest of the midwestern feedlots feed grain. I'm sure if grass was really the way to finish out cattle someone at one of those larger state of the art feedlots would have caught on by now. I promise you this grass fed isn't where the money is. You are a cattle grazer we are cattle feeders. Stick to something you know. How many cattle have you fed out on straight corn and supplemental protien? A person only needs to feed one on grass to know that there isn't enough grass land in America to produce enough beef to feed America.

somn":3bzfu624 said:
Bluestem":3bzfu624 said:
Red Angus cows weigh about 1000 pounds.

I understand you must have mispoke in your previous post you said steers. You must have a unique feeding program there. You can turn a heifer calf into a pregnant heifer have her give birth and fatten her up for slaughter and all of that in 18 months. And all that on just grass that must be some amazing grass.
Guess I did not make my self clear. The moma "cow" weighs 1000 pounds, steers finish at 1100 pounds.

[/quote]

I don't believe I ever said grass fed can't be good tasting. Bluestem wrote (You need to throw what you know about grain fed out the window, none of it works) I only replied that he has unique feeding program to be able to do all that he does in such a short period of time and on only grass. I like the rest of the midwestern feedlots feed grain. I'm sure if grass was really the way to finish out cattle someone at one of those larger state of the art feedlots would have caught on by now. I promise you this grass fed isn't where the money is. You are a cattle grazer we are cattle feeders. Stick to something you know. How many cattle have you fed out on straight corn and supplemental protien? A person only needs to feed one on grass to know that there isn't enough grass land in America to produce enough beef to feed America.[/quote]

Amen to that. Grass-fed is a nice niche market, but there is not enough high quality forage to finish as many head as we consume.

somn":2x4p6zsj said:
Farminlund":2x4p6zsj said:
somn":2x4p6zsj said:

I don't believe I ever said grass fed can't be good tasting. Bluestem wrote (You need to throw what you know about grain fed out the window, none of it works) I only replied that he has unique feeding program to be able to do all that he does in such a short period of time and on only grass. I like the rest of the midwestern feedlots feed grain. I'm sure if grass was really the way to finish out cattle someone at one of those larger state of the art feedlots would have caught on by now. I promise you this grass fed isn't where the money is. You are a cattle grazer we are cattle feeders. Stick to something you know. How many cattle have you fed out on straight corn and supplemental protien? A person only needs to feed one on grass to know that there isn't enough grass land in America to produce enough beef to feed America.
Sounds like your fighting for your livelihood and I'm fighting for mine. This drought is sending my commercial herd to the auction faster than planned. My profit per animal is higher on grassfed. Sorry about getting off topic. I would make hamburger out of the injured animal.

Latest posts