Butchering a 3 year old

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old open heifer that needs to go. I don't imagine she'd bring much at the stockyards, so I'm considering fattening her up and having her slaughtered. Does anyone have much experience with butchering older cows? I've always had younger steers, I know every animal is different, but I'd hate to spend the money for something not worth eating.

If ground she will be probably the best burger you've ever eaten. What we have done in the past is go hang them 2 weeks then cut out a couple of steaks from the loin. If they aren;t tough we steak and chop her like normal. If they are tough (usually) we just grind the whole cow.

I agree with Dun. We are eating a 3 year old Charolais steer right now. He was a potential herd sire unit he got snake bit and "ankle" healed, but was quite large and decreased his mobility. He was so gentle and we had plenty of beef, so I ended up keeping him a year longer than planned. I have been quite surprised at how tender and tasty he is. We left it up to the butcher whether or not to grind him or cut the stakes and I am really glad that she cut the steaks.

I wouldn't hesitate..we have done this several times with fantastic results. Comes down to how well you finish her and keeping her calm.

I plan on getting her nice and fat before we butcher. If the meat is a little tough, I guess I could always tenderize them.

Just got one back from processor a few weeks ago. Almost three year old barren heifer. Fed her for about 45 days had her butchered. So far the meat has been awesome.

Nearly all my jerseys are 30 months before I send them to the butcher. I have an almost 4 yr old jersey/guernsey heifer that came up open that is going on Monday. She has plenty of "condition" so I am not worried about eating her. We hang for 18-21 days and have only ever had one tough animal and it was a brown swiss cross. But if you are at all friendly with the butcher, just ask them to cut off a couple of steaks and bring them home and try them and then let them know what the results were and they can process the animal accordingly the next day.
We also just sold a 38 month heifer that was diagnosed open, her second chance and she brought 1.07 lb. at the sale barn 3 weeks ago. Cull cow prices here are up in the 60's and some 70's so if the heifer is in good flesh she ought to do okay at the sale.

Latest posts