Butcher weight

Help Support CattleToday:

bwr1963

Reaction score
Feeding some yearlings off for butcher, Is 800 lbs a good weight to butcher at ? Don't really want to keep feeding them much longer than that. Any thoughts. All grain fed beef

IMO...probably. Expect 45 to 55% "packaged" weight from "live" weight. A lot depends on how much inedible fat, bones on the animal as well as "how much" of the animal you are willing to eat...lol.

Bones, hide, G-I tract contents, internal organs weigh a lot...

800 lbs is pretty small for a butcher beef. About the lightest one I have butchered is 1000. It depends a lot on the animal and how you prefer your beef. As they get older and heavier they should get fatter, get more marbling, and add more muscle (bigger steaks). If you feed another 90 days and the calf is gaining 3 lbs per day that gives you another 270 lbs of live weight and about another 160 lbs of carcass weight. I would think that would be more than enough extra meat to pay for another 90 days on feed unless the calf is so small framed that it is not going to grow any more and only get fatter. Hope that made sense.

We like to have ours up around 1200 +- they usually are around 14-15 months old. They are mostly calved in Feb., get turned out up in the mountains to graze all spring/summer and then bring them home in October, graze them out on the hay fields all fall/winter then feed alfalfa hay - we will bring them in about Feb. and grain them out for 60 + days.

You will get a higher packaged weight if you hold off until they are a little bigger. I'd like to keep them on pasture until they are 900 lbs or so before I put grain in them.

I have been trying different things for several years. Finishing them at 1200 pounds will get you some good marbling and some nice steaks. Finishing them to 900 lbs., the meat will not have the marbling but the texture is different. Both ways are good!

Around 1200# is our target. Yields a carcass around 750.
We have processed some 1400# animals but really don't like them that big. 90% of our customers are women and they do not want steaks the size of dinner plates...and we listen to them...fill and refill more freezers that way.
We expect 61% carcasses from our live weight and have been averaging a 32% cutting loss. The fatter animals have a higher cutting loss percentage and folks don't like to pay $2.15 per pound for something that is going to the rendering plant.
Just my two bits worth.
Dave Mc

Frame size would have a lot to do with when I would butcher one. We butcher moderate framed around 1200 but once we butchered a limi and he was finished more around 1350.

So far most of our calves have been show steers that we butchered and you can feel them and get an idea how finished they are. Most seem to have a good cover around 1200 to 1250

I usually butcher my steers around 1100 lbs - 12 - 14 mths old at that weight. Pature grass, some medium quality hay (I say medium because my pregnant or lactating cows get the best stuff) and 2lbs 14% or 16% protein feed mix a day. Our meat over the years has a good mix of marbling & tendar lean meat. Worth the little extra time to feed.

coolpop":2a1h7688 said:
I usually butcher my steers around 1100 lbs - 12 - 14 mths old at that weight. Pature grass, some medium quality hay (I say medium because my pregnant or lactating cows get the best stuff) and 2lbs 14% or 16% protein feed mix a day. Our meat over the years has a good mix of marbling & tendar lean meat. Worth the little extra time to feed.

How many months do you put them on the protein feed mix?

Once I get a butcher date set - usually about one to two months before they go to butcher they get a higher protein feed. I never over feed thou -- don't want to have medical problems associated with feed.

coolpop":zig96jwh said:
Once I get a butcher date set - usually about one to two months before they go to butcher they get a higher protein feed. I never over feed thou -- don't want to have medical problems associated with feed.

Hard to understand why you would be worried about health on an animal you are going to kill.
:lol:

Because I'm going to be eating this very same animal and I kinda like my meat healthy as well as tasty.

Once calves are weaned at around 600# I run calves in a short lot and feed good quality hay and a ration of corn and DDG's with a protein level around 14.5%. Calves are fed 1% body wt. and brought up gradually to about 1.3% body wt. at 800#. Once calves reach 800-850#, protein level is dropped back to about 10.5%, and feed intake is gradually brought up to full feed. It takes me about two weeks to get feed level up to 2% body wt. Hay is fed free choice at this point - but their intake is reduced. Mineral is mixed into feed but is also available free choice. Over the last few years this has worked well and the cattle have finished very good. I have tried corn/impact 44 full feed - which doesn't require hay or other roughage. Cattle did well but the costs were too high.

ROB

coolpop":2pmeyfvv said:
Because I'm going to be eating this very same animal and I kinda like my meat healthy as well as tasty.

Awww, I was just jokin around.

We lost a young heifer a year or so ago, to what was probably bloat. Might have been pushing her to hard on feed. I know I watch them closer now in regards to how much full feed I have them on.

coolpop":ioxujo97 said:

Thanks for the info. :)

Latest posts