Business Idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting a side business and need a little input. I want to start a pasture maintenance business. This would include pasture spraying (weed and fertilizer), fence line spraying, mesquite spraying, shredding, aeration, disking, planting food plots/winter plots. The initial start up cost will be a little pricey but if I could stay busy it will be worth it. I need to find out if I need to start an S corp or a DBA. Also need to find out what type and how much insurance to keep. Would a business of this type be able to stay busy? I work 4 days a week currently so I would have 3 days a week to do it if I was busy. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My first thought would be that it will depend on the number of customers in your area that have the money to spend on "pretty". I know that I can't even justify keeping my pastures and fences looking like I want them to look even doing the work myself. But I have to treat my "operation" as a business. If there are enough customers around who have the financial resources available and are in the "cattle business" or have horses and just want everything to look good I think it would work well. I do the best I can but I'm never satisfied as there are always more things that need doing.

And.... Fence maintenance and installation as well as food plots and fertilizer should be plentiful. Keep your costs as low as possible and give it a shot. Rule of thumb. Never risk more than you can afford to lose and you will be fine.

JMJ offered some good advice. My question is how big a scale are you looking at? 20-50 acre horse farms or 300-3,000 acre cattle ranches. I'm going to say once you get your feet wet you'll stay so busy you won't want to answer the phone. I know a couple guys that started the same type deal here this year and both stopped advertising already. Key is to show up on time and do a good job. Also don't be afraid to charge someone, they'll pay good money for good work. A million dollars insurance won't cost that much and a DBA would work just fine.

Thanks for the input. The size of places doesn't matter to me. I'm going to start with a 100ish hp tractor and 1000 gallon boom sprayer. I also have a 500 gallon boomless. I have access to larger equipment if needed. Thanks again.

I metal couple of folks a while back that does nothing but food plots for hunting clubs . They do everything the customer tells them where they want it they plant fertilize and maintain it year round . Very lucritive

M-5 is correct. Hunters have the most money to spend and are willing to do it. Many folks have land just to hunt and are willing to pay to get someone to tend to it and plant some food plots when they need to be planted. Your reputation is critical with these guys because they all talk. The Texas hunting forum would be a easy place to look for business.

Edit to add that spraying ponds for weeds is also in demand from the duck crowd.

bird dog":wzep26mu said:
M-5 is correct. Hunters have the most money to spend and are willing to do it. Many folks have land just to hunt and are willing to pay to get someone to tend to it and plant some food plots when they need to be planted. Your reputation is critical with these guys because they all talk. The Texas hunting forum would be a easy place to look for business.

Edit to add that spraying ponds for weeds is also in demand from the duck crowd.

... and controlled burns :nod:

This is what I do for a living, been at it 15 yrs. I don't spray due to the liscence and insurance in VA. Not worth the headache to breathe that stuff all day. You will stay busy enough you want know which way is up once your name is out there. A no till drill that's easy to move, mine is 3pt. hitch and a good mower will keep you hopping. Add the spraying you will run out of time before you run out of work.

SmokinM":3vohco21 said:
This is what I do for a living, been at it 15 yrs. I don't spray due to the liscence and insurance in VA. Not worth the headache to breathe that stuff all day. You will stay busy enough you want know which way is up once your name is out there. A no till drill that's easy to move, mine is 3pt. hitch and a good mower will keep you hopping. Add the spraying you will run out of time before you run out of work.

SmokinM, do you charge by the hour, by the job, or a little of both?

Spraying Chinese Tallow, wooley croton and maybe applying lime would quickly turn into a full time job around here.

A little of both. If you know exactly what's involved you can probably make better money by the job but stuff that has a lot of variables usually time and materials. Most important thing is don't underestimate time it takes to move equipment a minimum charge is a must. Also a gps is important for anything done by the acre- 10 acres on the phone can be anywhere from 2-20 when you show up.

Latest posts