Bush Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
In the market for a 12' or 15' bush hog. Would really like a batwing. The $9k - $12k price of a new one has steered me to the used market. Found one in pretty good condition for $3k but it's hydraulic drive. I know nothing about this type. I'm sure someone here does. Thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't want it. Hydraulic stuff is expensive, and inefficient.

Would be kinda nice in that it wouldn't tear itself apart when it hits something, the motors would just stall.

I have a hydraulic drive unit for a skid steer but wouldn't want one for a tractor. I'd try to stay with Bushhog brand on the 15' and Rhino or Bushhog on the 12', both 540 RPM. I would say of all the things we do the Bush Hog ranks #1 in repair bills, so I'd try to find one in pretty good shape. You will also want the chain guards on one. Last 15' I priced new was $18,000, I'll be pulling the old one for a long time I guess.

I have an OLD Woods 15' batwing. It is a beast. Paid $1000 for it about 20 years ago - needed tires and hydraulic cylinder. Still works. So old when I bought it, there was no ID on it - just yellow paint, didn't know what it was. Finally, had to get blades and dealer told us what it was.

I bought a Land Pride batwing at auction this spring that looked almost new for less than 1/2 price of a new one (somebody lost their rear on it). It sure cut my pasture clipping time down. I set it on about 8" height and slick everything off. There is a dealer 9 miles away.

Like this one.

xFuRbIi.jpg

Hydraulic is less efficient than a mechanical drive. Also hydraulic pumps and motors wear out and can have problems when warm and are expensive to replace. Have to make sure the oil is staying cool.

Having said that I have an old 5' mower I want to convert to hydro drive so I can mount it vertical on the side of a loader to trim branches along fences and driveways.

It's along way between here and there, but I know of a practically brand new 15 footer that will be for sale, in the coming year, bush hog brand.

Latest posts