Bush Hog DM-90

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
Ok, did I buy a pig in a poke? I had the chance to pick up a Bush Hog DM-90 hay cutter that was broken but cheap. I figured I could repair it and have a spare as my unit is getting tired. So the guy told he thought the shaft that drives the cutter was broken. If I turn the gear box with the drive shaft the cutters don't turn. If I turn the cutters they all turn so something is disconnected between the gear box and the cutters. Could be the output gear or the shaft.

So anyone familiar with this unit? Any tips as to how to get the cutter bar disconnected at the gear box? I contacted Bush Hog for a manual but I don't have it yet.

Thanks Dun. I found that site yesterday. I pulled the cutter bar off last night and the drive bar was not broken so I opened up the gear box. The ring gear is chewed up. It appears the pinion bearing gave up allowing the pinion to not fully engage with the ring gear and chewed up the teeth. It is actually a pretty simple configuration but everything is really heavy so you need come-a-longs, front end loader, and sweat to get everything apart. I guess I will go ahead and rebuild the whole gear box and be done with it. Everything else seems to be in good shape. I suspect it was run without oil in the box.

Gee, someone else hat doesn;t realize what lubricants are for! I thought that was just a huillbilly thing.. Good idea the rebuild thwe whole box, you never know what else may have gotten tweaked just enough to cause later problems.

Latest posts