Bummer for my wifes Lamb

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Went out to give the ewe and her 3 day old twins some feed and check things out, when she jumped up spun around and stepped on the little ewe lambs tibia and broke it. My Austrailian cattle dog knew something was wrong and insantly started to nuzzle it to get up. Hauled it into the house and doctored it up.

24 hrs later the lamb is wrapped with a splint, nursing and following mom and bro around on three legs. I gave it 1cc of La-200 just for good luck and rewrapped it this morning making sure it's not too tight. Sure hope she makes it, I know she has the desire which is half of it.

We bred them late hoping for good weather. the day before they were born we set a record low for the high temp of the day. Ha Ha

The best laid plans are the first ones stepped on. Pun intended. Hope the little thing makes it ok

I have casted several lambs legs- they heal real fast. I like using a toilet paper roll slit down the side or if the lamb is outside I cut up a plastic soda bottle into an overlapping roll. Wrap the leg to minimize rubbing, duct tape the roll on and hold it on by duct taping it tighter around the top of the hoof.

I even had one where the bone was sticking thru the skin-- it was a little lumpy where it healed but it healed just fine.

We're hoping she heals quickly, at 4 days old the bone should be growing like crazy. She has a good appetite and gets along fairly well. We have them in a 12' x 12' stall w/turnout 12' x 16'.

Thanks for the hope, Howdy

Update!! the little lamb is doing great I change the wrap every week and will for another couple weeks just to be safe. She is almost as fast as her brother and uses the leg more and more everyday.

Thats Great that the lamb it gettin better. We I had a bottle lamb that had a Broken Leg but in Had the miss fortune and the leg fell off.

Latest posts