Bummer day for us...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Well, we had a bad day. We have three cows due next week, all ultrasounded and confirmed. We walk our pastures twice a day minimum, and keep a close eye on everyone. Our cow that twinned last year (she raised twin red bulls, all by herself, and weaned them off without creep - they weaned off at almost 600 pounds each). Anyway, we bred her on Christmas, had her ultrasounded, and had the vet verify she had one calf and it was a bull calf. Last night no one was acting out of the ordinary, and we talked about moving the three due next weekend to the pasture behind the house on Friday so after dark we can see them and not have to go tromping through the back pasture. This morning we go to do our check, and Summer (the cow) was not with the group, but neither was the little heifer (49 pound calf) or her mom. We figured they were at the water or mineral feeder. So after checking everyone in the big herd, we walk around to the mineral feeder. There is Summer, and she looked "off". I watched her for several minutes, and she kept looking back at her belly and looked to have her tail cocked just a little bit. We were talking about moving her now to the house pasture, since it looked like she might go early. When she turned around, it looked like she had a large piece of poop stuck on her rectum, so my husband walked closer to wipe it away. It was a foot! And it was breech and dry. So we immediately got her up to the barn, put a halter on her and tied her to the fence. Hubby went up to get the chains and jack, and of course I was in my work clothes (I teach college - so a nice outfit!). I get changed in the barn real quick and dive in. Definitely breech, but I can feel the hocks so that is good. I pinched the calf in several spots and got no response, so I was pretty sure it was dead. We get it jacked out in just minutes, and tried for 5 minutes to revive it. Straw in the nose, mouth to mouth, and hubby was doing chest compressions. We finally gave up, and untied the cow so she can lick it and figure out it was dead. The calf was not huge, but not small (it looked about 65 pounds), and she was 8 days early. I looked at the calf, told hubby I should check for a second calf since it was not huge, but then relented because she WAS ultrasounded and confirmed carrying one calf. Doc even checked twice because of her previous twins (identical). I went to the house to wash up, change my clothes and get going, sad that she lost her baby. After I get changed and breakfast in the toaster, hubby calls to tell me there is another foot coming out!!! WHAT :eek:
So change the clothes, back down to the barn, with daughter in tow (it is her cow). Well, even worse. This calf had only one leg and the head!!! I go back in, and can not locate the leg. I jump on the phone to the vet, panicked. Daughter goes in, can not find the leg, but said this calf was dead also. Great. So while I was waiting for the vet to confirm he was on his way, I reach in, follow the shoulder down, and find the knee!!! At that point, I just rotated the leg around counter clockwise around the pelvis and up and over. Hooked the chains back up and had that one out in minutes after getting the leg out. Of course, another dead bull calf. Called and canceled the vet, and drug the calf out of the pen. Weighed them both, 64 and 65 pounds. Both in the same sac, so identical likely again. Wow! I am still in shock.
The sad part is the cow was up in the barn tonight when we went out to do chores, and had a little sad moo she was vocalizing. Almost makes you cry! She walked back out to the pasture when I went out to check the group, and she would eat a few bites then let out a bellar. Very sad. She loves her calves.
So the daughter and I were talking, and I think it is in our best interest to put an embryo in her this fall. Twinning two years in a row, identical twins, I would hate to have it happen again. With an embryo she will have one. She has a SUPERB pedigree, and throws fantastic calves, but I do not want to chance her having twins again. I offered to take her to town, but daughter thinks she is too good to let go when she has already proven herself.
Just thought I would share.... bad day for us.

Dunno what to say after all that--has to be disappointing but also sounds you did all ya'll possibly could have done.
Sometimes, it's just not to be.

That cow looking for a dead calf has go to be the most forlorn sound there is.

That is sad news. Which cow is Summer? I have seen so many of your cattle on facebook. I hope she is ok and it does make you want to cry. The embryo idea is a very good one.

I'm sorry. That is disappointing and very sad. I agree with dun. It's bad enough that the calves are dead, but one feels so sorry for the cow. I hope that she recovers well.
Was she bred on a natural heat?

Chippie, she was bred on natural heat, both times she twinned. We do not sinc with CIDRs except the very first breeding in November for embryos.
Ron, Summer is a 4 year old that is a Summer Sister x Macho, so an excellent pedigree. She twinned last year, and I pictured her on here several times nursing both calves at the same time (red bull calves). She is a sweet cow, and really loves her babies. Weaning is always a tough time for her, even though we fence wean. She never recovered the amount of weight I wanted (she is bcs of 4, I like my calving females at a 5 or 6). We will put an embryo in her the end of November, that should give her some time to recover. Last night we slept with our sliding glass door open, and every now and then we could hear her low mooing, calling for her baby. Cows feel emotions, that I am sure!!!!

Cows certainly have emotions. One of our old favorites had twins a few years back, both born on their own but dead. She would not leave the calves to eat or drink for two days (I couldn't remove the calves while she was there, I didn't want her to blame me!). We ended up having to drive her to the barn and baby her for a week to lift her spirits. Once released she went right back to where the calves had been, smelled around for awhile, and moved on. She is a lovely mother and weaning is tough for her as well.

That does suck... I lost 2 calves in a row 2 years ago, one was a breech birth too.. Both cows adopted which was good... The one that had the breech birth never got to lick her calf, and I was milking her twice a day, then got a twin that the mother didn't want, kept it in the shop overnight, and brought it to her the next morning... it was love at first sight and you wouldn't think it wasn't hers... The cow that did get to lick her calf was a misery to have accept another, and never really accepted it... she let it suck, and that was as far as it was going to go.
this year I lost an identical twin bull calf (the second twin)... the cow had a 110 lb bull calf, and was mean, but the following evening I found she didn't look well, so I went in and found the other calf... a second 110 lb'er... At least she has one!

since it sounds like this one is the first to calve, I'd keep milking her if you can... never know what's coming down the pike!

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of this bad fortune...
:-(
My cow lost hers last year, she was depressed.
She was a first calver last year and she had a strong maternal instinct, she tried to bring her dead bull calf to life, the way she cleaned him and nuzzled him.
My brother thought she was going to die because she wouldn't eat for several days.
It was so heartbreaking.
I'm sorry you and your animal have to go thru this FS.
I hope the embryo works better for her.
Hard to pull the plug on a good momma.
Think you need to get another calf for her or is there one you have she can take on?
Some cows are happy to graft one on just to have one to look after.
Our cow Penny was very willing after the loss of hers this winter.
I hate breech babies, had two this year with separate mommas.
:-(

That really sucks. Sorry for the bad day. Seems like we always get so use to see so many calves being born and not thinking about issues. We get all these good feelings about a new calf. Then it turns around and gives you a swift hard kick. It is sad but you definitely know that you have a good cow. She knows what she suppose to be doing and that's taking care of her calf. I've also seen cows smell a dead calf and just walk away and never think twice about it....

At least we all know that the really bad days are the exception and not the rule.

Thanks guys. Anne, I would have gotten a calf for her to raise, but do not want to chance bringing in something from the dairies. Dirty places, and I would hate to infect my herd with BVD or something in that line just to put a calf on her. I should have milked her, she is the kind of cow you would not even need to put her in the chute to do it, but having full time jobs keeps us pretty busy. She is drying up nicely. We will just set her up for an embryo the end of November, and give her time to put some more weight on. Our pastures right now are pretty crummy, with the dry weather and lack of growth since the last part of September.
Yes OS, we expect good results when we are so lucky. We were thinking back to the last time we lost a calf, and it was three years ago, so we are due. Hopefully the rest of the season goes great!

Understandable.
Sometimes we are lucky like we were with our January calf loss, that we had an old old cow that we were going to pull the plug on anyway so we grafted her little one onto the young one that lost hers.
Even tho we lost the calf, at least we could downsize and help offset it that way.
Sounds a little cold, don't it?
But with the drought from last year it was a good decision to make.

Sorry about you losses! I had a cow abort a calf at 7 months and lost 3 calves with type A this week. So it hasn't been a good week over here either.

At least your cow is ok, I can understand her wanting to keep the cow, I have a few that I wouldn't sell if I knew there were only gonna calve 1 out of 3 years.

That's really sad and depressing firesweep, sorry for your loss. I've been in that situation before and it can be heart throbbing. We've lost sets of twins and it's really sad seeing mom beg her calves to get up and you knowing that isn't gonna happen. The cow who've had our last twins, 2 sets back to back both bulls each time were breached as well. Luckily we saved those four dudes, I think both situations we had to get the first one out and she was able to then have the 2nd each time. Like I have said before I hate twins and the problems they cause even though they are cute and a joy to watch. Some twinning are successful and come with ease but most are pains for us at least. Nothing is worse than having breached calves, had a young really nice eye appealing cow 2-3 years ago that her calf breached and the vet had to pull it. The bull calf made it fine, but the cow had got her uterus ripped or torn. We kept her pumped full of medicine from the vet hoping she would recover. She had claimed her calf and wanted to take care of it and did nurse it. We would help feed the calf and take care of it with her but she just got worse day after day until she was gone. It was really sad seeing baby trying to get momma up, after she had gotten to sick to help him. From then on he was solely ours to take care of, I will say baby helped momma fight as long as she could. Really miss that female she was becoming one of our best in the commercial herd. So like I said I know how sad and tough that day was for you all. Wishing you luck for a success story the next go around.

How doubly disappointing. I usually leave cows with their dead babies until they choose to walk away from them. We don't bring in spares either, for the same risk reasons.

Were the previous twins bulls as well, or do you have a couple of nice daughters? Did you use the same sire both times? Identical twinning interests me very much. I have a pair of identical heifers about to calve.

ricebeltrancher":zlo9hqnl said:
How far along was she when she was ultrasounded?

She was 61 days, and he got the sex right. I think one was on top of the other, and that is why he did not see two.

Putangitangi - same sex calves (the first set were bulls), but different AI sire. These were black, the first set were red. I wish they were heifers, then at least we could keep one or both in the herd. :cry2:

That really stinks! I nearly missed one that had the calf, about 60 days along, sitting at about the 10-11 o'clock position. I think a palpator might have had a hard time figuring that one out.

Latest posts