Bulls to pick apart!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Shawn now that Alan has had his say about my comments. Does your bull impress you? If you are not impressed there is no one else going to be. The first thing a bull customer wants to see is a herd bull that is impressive.

You all don't have to worry about offending me. I am a law enforcement officer and have been for 6 years. If you don't have thick skin you don't make it, similar to this raising cattle gig. This is actually the first bull that I have ever purchased. I get a little less impressed with him every time I look with him. When I see him all I see is the lack of depth and the small hind quarters. I knew he was going to get beat on for that. I was wanting to see if there is more that I am missing in him than just that. I understand that blood lines don't make bulls and I know that EPDS definitely dont. I am needing to kniw what to improve in for my next bull purchase. I aim to set my kids up to be one of Kys finest registered angus breeders. The more eyes I have seeing the flaws in my cattle the better. It gives me things to look for and build on in the future.

Shawn I would like to see a side shot of the calf to look at his rear leg angles better. I like his thickness and depth for his age alright, just can't see his legs in any of the shots.

I don't care for the older bull much. Pretty much what has already been said. He lacks hind quarters and does not look balanced front to back to me. Lack of Weight may be some of his problem. But he doesn't appear to have a heavy enough frame or bone in his legs to carry too much more weight.

Why is his tail cut, was he shown?

I will see what I can do about getting a better picture of his legs. I don't really know why his tail is cut, the sale that I was at when I got him seemed to have every cow,calf, and bull clipped. It was my first registered cattle sale and I thought that maybe it was like that at all of them. Then I watched and went to more and the cattle weren't clipped.

The young bull was on his mama when we bought her. He was right around 2 months old at the time of sale. So we have had him for a while.

We have not ventured out into the AI'ING yet because there is nobody in my area that does it enough to be efficient. I have considered going to AI school my self and doing it all for myself. It would benefit me more I believe because I only have 4 registered cows and the one black baldy heifer which belongs to my dad.

Raising cattle is certainly a learning experience. With your mindset you should do fine. You've already evaluated your herd bull and know the direction you want to go in that regard. I enjoy Bull shopping hoping to improve each time. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I looked at the numbers on your bull and would consider him middle of the road. I like to review EPD's but have found out the hard way they don't in themselves make a herd sire. I've seen a lot worse on here from folks who believe they have something they don't. I've run some pretty good ones and some not so good. I beat mine up pretty good every time I look at him.
The bull calf may have some potential and time will tell. The good thing about cattle is if they don't work out you don't have throw them away. They still have value. I agree with those here who have stated if you wouldn't want to buy one of your own bulls to run on cattle you'll be better served not to market him as a herd bull.
Welcome to the boards. My daughter is also in the same line of work as you. Good luck with your cattle operations.

That young bull's papers show some prospect. But, the thing that caught my eye in the picture from the rear is he looks to be a steer??? I see no "Nuts"!

On the older bull he looks like a lot of Black Angus you see with CE numbers smaller boned less bulk and so on! B&G

Shawn they do clip a lot of sale bulls. It just depends on the sale. It makes them look cleaner and more youthful. They bob the tail at the hocks. So that explains why his tale is bobbed.

What I was wanting to see on the younger bull was his pasterns. (The area between his ankle joint and hoof. In the one picture, where he is backed up to the fence. His left looks very sloped, but it could be just the way he is standing in the photo.

The young bull needs a little more time to develop. Not a bad bull.

On the older bull, I agree with what Alan said, and I will add that he lacks masculinity as I would like to see more nutz, more crest and a more bullish head. Would prefer to see him as a steer.

I would like to post pictures of the young bull now at 11 months old. I still am not able to post pictures from my phone, any helpers?

ATT00004.jpg

20150912_180700.jpg

20150912_180915.jpg

Im out right now. I'll get the other couple up later on, thatll get you started for now.

Thank you bigfoot. I have actually gotten rid of the big bull and have decided to go to strictly AI. The number 6 calf I feel like is twice the bull as the big one.

This calf looks a lot better than the older bull. Mandate always looked good on paper but I've never seen any that I liked much. The best one that I had was flat out mean and didn't have the type to make me want to put up with it.

Probably a good call on both. I wasn't crazy about the herd bulls pic. I actually kinda like the young bull. Using AI, you'll have access to the industries top genetics, at less than your feed bill would be for a live bull.

I have recently purchased 10 units of Ten X so I am going to give him a go next year. I only have 3 registered cows right now so I may be on Ten X for a couple years depending on the calves. There have been a few others that I like the looks of but it seems as though Ten X is the hot commodity. I like the looks and EPDS of Deer Valley All In so I may go that route also.