Bulls to pick apart!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn_boroviak

Reaction score
I have a couple bulls that I would like to have picked apart but for some reason my phone will not allow me to upload them. Is anyone willing to let me text them the photos or send them the photos in an email to be up loaded.

Here you go

20150627_090538.jpg

20150627_090345.jpg

20150627_090253.jpg

20150627_090237.jpg

////

20150627_085850.jpg

20150627_085910.jpg

20150627_085944.jpg

20150627_090008.jpg

I have recently got myself into a small registered angus herd which I am trying to build upon. I am located in London, KY which is about 70 miles south of Lexington on I75. The first bull pictured was born in October 2014. He is a direct son of Conneally In Focus and his registration number is AAA18010538. He is about a,week into weaning and weighted 620 lbs. The second bull pictured is my current herd bull and his registration number is AAA17755108. He is a little over 2 years old and is the son of SYDGEN Mandate 6079. The goals of my operation are pretty simple. My plans are to run a cow/calf operation on our 95 acre farm. I would love to work my way up to about 35 head. I am planning on having calving ease bulls to sell to local farmers as registered cattle is not in high demand here. My ultimate goal is to provide a good life for my family and teach good work ethic to my two boys who are 4 and 11 months old.

Shawn,

I can't think of a better reason to get into the cattle than for your boys! I can't tell you how many positive lessons our boys learned while working with us in our cattle operation. I truly believe it helped them develop into the men that I am so proud to call my sons. Your bulls look fine, I would like to see more depth of body, but that is the kind I like. I wish you the best with your herd, I have never lost the excitement of seeing each years calf crop.

gizmom

shawn_boroviak":24dkaqi7 said:
I have recently got myself into a small registered angus herd which I am trying to build upon. I am located in London, KY which is about 70 miles south of Lexington on I75. The first bull pictured was born in October 2014. He is a direct son of Conneally In Focus and his registration number is AAA18010538. He is about a,week into weaning and weighted 620 lbs. The second bull pictured is my current herd bull and his registration number is AAA17755108. He is a little over 2 years old and is the son of SYDGEN Mandate 6079. The goals of my operation are pretty simple. My plans are to run a cow/calf operation on our 95 acre farm. I would love to work my way up to about 35 head. I am planning on having calving ease bulls to sell to local farmers as registered cattle is not in high demand here. My ultimate goal is to provide a good life for my family and teach good work ethic to my two boys who are 4 and 11 months old.

Shawn, :welcome:

You have set yourself some great goals on your family and I wish you all the luck in the world, nothing better than a farm raised kid.

I decided I'm going to get more involved on post were folks want opinions on their cattle, that statement was for others not you. Before I start on your cattle bear in mind folks on the Internet will give you opinions when they don't know what they are talking about, both critical and kind advice.... I may be one of those folks. Don't take negative opinions the wrong way, learn from them and with luck it will open a discussion on yours and other folks will jump in, that's how I have learned through the years. Both good opinions and negative opinions look and study what the poster is referring to. If the poster simple says "he looks like cr@p or he's a good looking animal" don't be afraid to ask that poster why they feel that why. They should be able why they do or don't like the animal.

Okay with that said, for a completely fair assessment of your Bulls they need a few more groceries, they look a bit light. This is judging buy the shots of your herd bull and the black baldy in the background of I believe pic #7 from the top. A few hundred pounds will completely change the looks of an animal sometimes.

Your herd bull, I don't like him much, no muscle, very light in the back end, very shallow hip girth, should be much deeper with more muscle running down the leg. He doesn't have much width to his azz, again boils down to he should have more muscle. He should have been a steer, a good pedigree isn't what it takes to make a good bull. Great Bulls throw steer quality calves, it takes a good cow also. Again it's just my opinion, nothing personal, maybe someone else will chime in.

The young bull has a little more potential, better girth and maybe little better muscle, but it's really too soon to tell. You can only cut him once so give him some time. If he was mine I would give him some time with plenty of feed to grow on a see, but pouring feed to a young bull will not turn him into anything that he wasn't going to be anyway. It just gives them the opportunity to grow to their potential.

Good luck and concentrate as hard on your cows as you do your Bulls, a cow is almost as important as a bull. A bad cow will give you a bad calf (most of the time), but a bad bull will give you a whole crop of bad calves and do nothing to improve your herd.

Just my :2cents:
Alan

Thank you for the feedback. The more I have looked at,him in the pasture the more I see his flaws. I knew he lacked depth and azz. The black baldy is my dad's first calf heifer. And she has been pulled down a bit. She was also a bottle calf which didn't do her any favors. I like the looks of the young bull and he is getting about 10 lbs per day of feed. The herd rest of the cows including the herd bull also are fed well when it comes to feed but may be the pasture quality. Again, thank you for the fair assessment.

shawn_boroviak":122rhgoq said:
Thank you for the feedback. The more I have looked at,him in the pasture the more I see his flaws. I knew he lacked depth and azz. The black baldy is my dad's first calf heifer. And she has been pulled down a bit. She was also a bottle calf which didn't do her any favors. I like the looks of the young bull and he is getting about 10 lbs per day of feed. The herd rest of the cows including the herd bull also are fed well when it comes to feed but may be the pasture quality. Again, thank you for the fair assessment.

Alan said it pretty well....and be careful about single trait selection. There are a lot of components to "calving ease". Not the least of which is a heifer that can have a 75lb calf. Remember it's very few that start out tiny and turn into weight gaining machines.

Red Bull Breeder":1v84ovri said:
That's one stud of bull you got there I wouldn't change a thing.

Like I said you get some real dumb azz responses! He's a good one to ask why he's a "stud of a bull". Ah never mind I'll do it. Okay red bull why would you tell this new poster that his bull is a real stud of a bull.... And don't say you were having fun! The OP asked a serious question with plenty of details and you gave him/her your answer ...... What does the bull have to make him a STUD OF A BULL????

No need to smash a new guys dreams his first time out of the gate. I am trying to move into the political correct world we live into day. That bull has every right to identify as a stud.

He has a set of nuts Alan. Not that he should have but he has.

Red Bull Breeder":2pdvcyxj said:
No need to smash a new guys dreams his first time out of the gate. I am trying to move into the political correct world we live into day. That bull has every right to identify as a stud.

Don't worry about smashing a dream, give them a honest, serious answer without stomping and belittling and taking him down.

I assume you wouldn't' sell a bull like him to one of your clients?

Red Bull Breeder":3v1f8cvm said:

If a negative or criticizing remark about someone's bull smashes their dreams, then they aren't going make it far anyways IMHO. I just say be honest and straight or don't respond at all and move on

Look at the subject of his thread!! He's saying to bring it on. Pick my bull apart, please

Alan some many folks on here tend to be tender hearted these day. If he likes his bull he suit the hell out of me. The bull is black and angus that's most folks top priority and low birth weight to boot. He gets his cattle bred produces calves he thinks will make a marketable bulls. All he has left to do is sell the bulls. That's when he learns if they are good enough. No my customers tend to like a little meat on there bulls a little more eye appeal in general the expect to see a lot more bull than is pictured here. Folks may not be that picky in Kentucky.

Red Bull Breeder":2refu9gz said:
Alan some many folks on here tend to be tender hearted these day. If he likes his bull he suit the be nice out of me. The bull is black and angus that's most folks top priority and low birth weight to boot. He gets his cattle bred produces calves he thinks will make a marketable bulls. All he has left to do is sell the bulls. That's when he learns if they are good enough. No my customers tend to like a little meat on there bulls a little more eye appeal in general the expect to see a lot more bull than is pictured here. Folks may not be that picky in Kentucky.

I know I'm being a hard nose about this, but saying nothing is better than your first remark. Just as the previous poster said" say nothing". You did comment on the bull and said your clients like a little more meat.... I assume you mean muscle.... I'm pretty sure you do. Why not just say that to begin with?

Alan you and the next poster can tell him his bull is a sorry excuse of a bovine animal if you guys want to. I am going to nice and not beat up on his bull. I am finding this quite amusing the guy who always looking out for the new folks beating on for being nice. Wow how the worm turns

Yea, I'm sure meant that in the kindness way. Yes, I do like to stick up for new members. I still believe your comment was only to make fun of his bull and hope to gain a following from others on this subject. You and I know it happens too often.

Shawn, my most sincere apologies for ruining you post. :tiphat: With luck others will chime in and give you their honest opinion. I was making a point and I think I made it.

I'm done on this subject...... I hope.