Bullet Train

Help Support CattleToday:

Washington state spent $180.7 million dollars of taxpayers money on passenger train improvement, guess there wasn't enough money for safety. If it's a good deal private business will jump all over the chance to make money.

Caustic Burno":1ffqzhxf said:
Craig Miller":1ffqzhxf said:
Why are you against it?
Why would you ride it from Houston to Dallas?

I would, IF I had a dang good reason to go to Dallas or drive in to Houston to catch the dang thing.

Not a very detailed map. I wonder exactly where it's going to cross 30? Roans Prairie..Shiro?
If I wanted to ride it just for the heck of it, I'd drive up there and catch it round trip to Dallas and back if I didn't have to get off the train. Many of us may be dead and buried before they get it built tho..IF they ever do.

greybeard":36n4nlyp said:
Caustic Burno":36n4nlyp said:
Craig Miller":36n4nlyp said:
Why are you against it?
Why would you ride it from Houston to Dallas?

I would, IF I had a dang good reason to go to Dallas or drive in to Houston to catch the dang thing.

But we all know you need psychiatric help. :D Drive to Houston to get on a train is the definition of insanity.

True Grit Farms":xtae91ss said:
Washington state spent $180.7 million dollars of taxpayers money on passenger train improvement, guess there wasn't enough money for safety. If it's a good deal private business will jump all over the chance to make money.

That train improvements were supposed to shorten the time from Seattle to Portland by 15 minutes. Today was the first run of that train. The last run for 6 people and maybe more before it is all over. They still haven't searched all the cars as some are unstable. And several of the people who made it to the hospital are in critical condition. I have driven under that railroad over pass a couple hundred times. My middle daughter drove under it on the north bound side this morning (the wreck was on the south bound side). Railroad cars dropping on to the freeway at rush hour and before it was light out ...... it could have been so much worse. I know that the cops in Chehalis have put the radar on those trains going through town at 83 MPH. How much are those few extra minutes worth?

85 mph max doesn't seem like 'bullet' train speed to me.
Apparently the old R.R. tracks are owned by a freight train company and were not designed for trains intending
to travel over 70 mph. Most freight trains travel in the 55 mph range.

Son of Butch":24exdcgp said:
85 mph max doesn't seem like 'bullet' train speed to me.
Apparently the old R.R. tracks are owned by a freight train company and were not designed for trains intending
to travel over 70 mph. Most freight trains travel in the 55 mph range.
No, true 'bullet trains' run in excess of 200mph.
This particular rail line was recently upgraded specifically to carry passenger trains in the 70-80mph range according to the press releases today, but that curve the derailment occurred on is rated for 30mph. .
fake news?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... of-30-mph/

Craig Miller":1e1jqe5d said:
Why are you against it?

In general I'm skeptical of any project that involves Imminent Domain, and I can't believe this project will ever happen without it. And I'm afraid they'll get halfway through and run out of money and the government will have to step in and take over to get it finished. So then the government can be in charge of running it, like they've done with Amtrak for a long time. Look how that's worked out.

Everybody needs a bullet train. Imagine going 200 mph in a train loaded down with 8 or 10 other passengers. I'll stick with I-45.

Son of Butch":fqe6itfe said:
Dave":fqe6itfe said:
The last run for 6 people and maybe more before it is all over.
ABC news reported 3 dead. And their reporter on the scene signed off by saying "1 too many"....
so apparently 2 is the limit for acceptable deaths? :(

Yesterday all of the local news was saying 6 dead. Even the Peirce County sheriff said 6 dead. This morning they are saying 3 dead. I guess they need to learn to count.
Daughter was hours getting home last night. There is a real bottle neck at the point of the wreck. The Puget Sound is just to the west. It would take hours to go around the other side of the sound. Fort Lewis to the east, no public access through it. A two lane road to the east of the army base goes through about 4 little town. Not a road to handle the traffic off I-5. Only one more route to the east before one runs into the mountains and it might take 3 hours to go that way. So thousands of people crawled through those small towns.

Son of Butch":2yv7xu96 said:
Dave":2yv7xu96 said:
The last run for 6 people and maybe more before it is all over.
ABC news reported 3 dead. And their reporter on the scene signed off by saying "1 too many"....
so apparently 2 is the limit for acceptable deaths? :(
1 is probably as high as ABC can count.

Latest posts