Bulldog calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dvcattleco

Reaction score
Good evening. First time on this board.... Just had to see if anyone else has run into the same problem and find out if the bloodlines match up anywhere. If you have ever had a "Bulldog calf" or PHA (Pulmonary Hypoplasia with Ansarca) could ya get in touch with us? we had one born breach today and was wanting some input from anyone else out there. Thanks
Vaughans
I do have pictures, but do not know how to put them on here. If interested, give a shout, I'd be happy to send them to you, or if you can tell us how to load them here?

dvcattleco":oftl4jmc said:
I do have pictures, but do not know how to put them on here. If interested, give a shout, I'd be happy to send them to you, or if you can tell us how to load them here?

If you go to the beginner's board or the breeds board there are step by step instructions on how to post pictures to these boards.

I have good friends up towards the canadian border (Colville) that get about two or three every year thrown out of this Polled Hereford bull they have. Everytime they get one they try to run it down here to the University here so they can run tests on it, research, etc. The last one they brought down was actually still alive, first time the school had ever had one that was alive, poor little things. The esophogous is at such a sharp angle they couldnt tube it so it just had to be put down eventually.

Sounds like a bull that needs to be eatin not breeding.

Wow 2 or 3 a year what are they thinking?

MD

redfornow":ffc7brnr said:

MD

Th operative word is "thinking". There must not be much of that going on

dun

redfornow":1mrfifwq said:
Sounds like a bull that needs to be eatin not breeding.

MD

They calve out almost 600 head, so its really not that big of a deal, I think last year they had 3 but this was the only one this year. Yeah this was the bulls last year for breeding, they havent kept any heifers out of him. Didnt want to get rid of him because they paid quite a bit for him and only got 3 or 4yrs out of it.

On Edit: DVCattle, if you want I can probably call sometime and get the breeding on that bull and let you know? May take me a while but if you want I can.

Hello,
I work in Dr. Jon Beever's lab at the University of Illinois. We are currently working on finding the defect that causes PHA. One thing that I should point out is that a PHA calf is NOT a bulldog calf. They are two completely different defects. PHA calves are born with little or no lungs, and they are all dead at birth. The amount of edema varies from calf to calf. We have had 150 lbs - 280 lbs calves reported. Currently, PHA is found in Maine-Anjou cattle and Shorthorns with Maine-Anjou backgrounds. If anyone would like any other information, you can contact me via e-mail: [email protected]
Also, to the original poster, if you had time, would it be possible for you to drop me an e-mail and let me know what the bull and cow this calf came from? We are in the mapping stage (finding the gene that is mutated) right now and that information might be helpful in our search if you wouldn't mind.

Latest posts