Bull trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We had bigger problems than just a cow missing an ear tag when we checked cows on Sunday. This fellow just isn't quite normal. Vet says that it could be an infected sheath or a 'broken' penis. Right now he is still at pasture 2 hours from home, so we can't do anything til can get him back here. That was supposed to be tomorrow's job, but the truck is broken, so it will have to wait a few days, unfortunately.

tn_DSC09286.jpg

tn_DSC09284.jpg

tn_DSC09285.jpg

This really sucks, cause he was our #1 pick of the bulls at the sale where we got him, and we really, really like him. On the plus side, at least we are not going to be short on bull power, as there is another bull in with him, and only 35 cows, so at least, we don't have to find another bull.

So what are your experiences with either scenario? We have dealt with a sheath infection before, and the bull did come around for breeding the next year. Vet says there is an 80%+ chance that if treated he will be good for next year.

We have never dealt with a 'broken' penis before. Most people around here simply can them. I'm hesitant do do that with a $3000 bull if there is a reasonable chance of him healing up and breeding again. Vet says there is about a 50% chance, maybe......

I'd bet it's an infection... with a "break", the swelling is usually much higher up (closer to the testicles).

No experience with infections, can't offer an opinion there. As far as breaks though, I've only seen two bulls with breaks, both were given 60 days rest and then given a breeding soundness exam. Both checked out fine and went back to work with no problems since.

I would suggest you beg/borrow/buy/steal a truck asap though :p ...bull came into the vet clinic Monday with a massive sheath infection (may have started with a break, impossible to tell at that point), the penis extended 6-8" beyond the sheath and was swollen to at least 4" in diameter with a major laceration around the bottom. Not sure what order the events occurred in, but that bull's career is over.

I'd bet it's an infection... with a "break", the swelling is usually much higher up (closer to the testicles).

I agree, make sure to try and find the cause of the infection, often something as small as a grass seed.

Thank you MM and Knersie. I've never dealt with a break before, and only one infection, that wasn't anything quite like this. Your words give me some hope, that is for sure, regardless of what the problem is.

Truck is headed to the shop today, and hopefully tomorrow it will be OK. Of course every problem has to happen at the same time :roll: I am not inclined to wait too long before going to get him, that is for sure.

Best thing would have been to get him away from cows at first sign. Every time he is excited or aroused with a cow cuts his chances of recovery, further injuries or aggravating his injury will limit his chances of recovery.

Must be contagious! I've had Brahman bulls for over 10 years, and everyone knows how prone they are to infections! Now I've gone to Simmental bulls, and my $3500 bull I bought last fall managed to get a cut on his prepice that got infected. I hauled him to A & M, and they cleaned it out, told me to bring him home and pen him up for 6 weeks, and then bring him back in and they'll recheck him. The vet said he thought he'd be okay, but they've seen it go both ways. It was a cut no longer than 1/4 inch, and not even deep.. looked more like a piece of skin that had been peeled back. But of course that's not a good place for any laceration!

Good luck! I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed...

Randiliana,

May I ask why you would have two bulls together with your cows? I can't begin to tell you how many horror story's I have heard in regards to bulls "breaking" one another while in with a herd of cows.

BARNSCOOP":1sm58qcr said:
Randiliana,

May I ask why you would have two bulls together with your cows? I can't begin to tell you how many horror story's I have heard in regards to bulls "breaking" one another while in with a herd of cows.

Um, cause we didn't want the hassle of fixing fence that they wrecked fighting each other when they would probably end up together within a week or two anyways..... That and to reduce the chances of either of these two bulls getting in with our heifers and causing us BIG problems next spring. It is a fairly common practice to run several bulls together.

As for whether it's an injury, well, that has to be detirmined as of yet.....

TheBullLady":3duv85sl said:
Must be contagious! I've had Brahman bulls for over 10 years, and everyone knows how prone they are to infections! Now I've gone to Simmental bulls, and my $3500 bull I bought last fall managed to get a cut on his prepice that got infected. I hauled him to A & M, and they cleaned it out, told me to bring him home and pen him up for 6 weeks, and then bring him back in and they'll recheck him. The vet said he thought he'd be okay, but they've seen it go both ways. It was a cut no longer than 1/4 inch, and not even deep.. looked more like a piece of skin that had been peeled back. But of course that's not a good place for any laceration!

Good luck! I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed...
Well, good luck to you and your bull as well. These things always seem to happen to the bulls we like....

I hope you get your truck fixed in a timing manner so the mystery will be solved and you can come up with a plan. Hopefully it will turn out okay and you can contiune to use him.
In my small farm operation I couldn't take the risk of having two bulls together. I could buy fencing cheaper. I have two bulls now. They are seperated by a five strand high tensil electric fence where three of the five are hot. Boy are they HOT! I have seen that fence throw at the least a two inch arch. It's made me scream a few times!
Let us know what the vet has to say.

BARNSCOOP":256isjbg said:
Randiliana,

:lol: :lol: Sounds like you've been around. BARNSCOOP.

Well, truck is fixed and we are heading out to get him this morning.

Had the truck looked at by 2 garages (over several weeks), and it took my dad to tell us what was wrong :???: . Turned out to be a real simple fix, the steering stabilizer shock was worn out.....

randiliana":19qwsgs0 said:

Had the truck looked at by 2 garages (over several weeks), and it took my dad to tell us what was wrong :???: . Turned out to be a real simple fix, the steering stabilizer shock was worn out.....
well that can be exciting ride over bumps, i hit a train track running about 60 mph one time the folks setting at a intersection thought i was fixing too plow em under before i stopped..................so did i :shock:.........have you ever heard of using preperation H on a swollen prepuce?

alacattleman":70pike0e said:
randiliana":70pike0e said:

well that can be exciting ride over bumps, i hit a train track running about 60 mph one time the folks setting at a intersection thought i was fixing too plow em under before i stopped..................so did i :shock:.........have you ever heard of using preperation H on a swollen prepuce?

It was exciting, you never knew if you would get it settled down in time, and we have very rough roads around here. Rides as smooth as a Dodge ever did now though :banana: .

I have never heard of using preparation H on a bull before. Don't know how badly I would want to have to mess around with him doing that either :lol2:

Well, we got him home and to the vet. Vet says it is a infected sheath with the infection extending into the penis. Treat him for a few days and he should be fine in a couple weeks, providing there is not any extensive scarring. Now he is home, in a corral by himself for a few days.

Now, for the rest of the story. Originally, the plan was for just me to go up with my horse and the dogs. But, this morning DH decided to go too. That was a real good thing. We got up there and all the cows and all the yearlings were in the same pasture. So much for leaving a whole quarter section between them to minimize any heifers being bred to the wrong bulls. So we found where the problems were, two gates busted down. I guess 2 1/2 quarters just isn't enough room for 2 bulls to find somewhere else to fight..... At least one heifer is bred to the wrong bull, she will stay bred to him, could have several others bred to him too, so what is one more. So we got them in, got the gates fixed and separated them all and then put them back in their respective pastures. Should stay there now, there is only one bull in either pasture. Oh, and we treated a sick calf too. So, I guess, a pretty good days work.

Latest posts