Bull trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

Braunviehboy

Reaction score
This show bull is a 11 month old. First problem is that he will not get up in the triler. If I put feed in it he will go in some time later. What do I do? Second problem I am trying to lead him by a spring loaded lead. The lead has rubbed a sore spot in his nose and every time I put it in he puts his head up. Do I need to stop and let it heal or put a ring in for good.

I don't know anything about nose rings, but will he walk on halter without a nose ring? We can get anything in from little ones on bottle or momma to ones just halter broken on the trailer. What we do is get in the trailer and pull the lead and keep the pressure on the rope and have someone wack their rear if they aren't moving. With some of them than seem to be a little less smart or can't get their feet up, we lift one front leg up on there and keep pulling. If they still don't go, keep the lead tight and move to another side inside the trailer so his head turns. I don't think you would have to resort to a prod, but if you need to use more force some way do it. If you aren't strong enough to keep the rope tight you can slide it past one of the bars and have someone pull it against the bar on the outside of the trailer. He needs to learn to go when you tell him to. I would throw feed in after he's gotten in, not before. He's going to see that as his way of training you, if there's feed, he decides he wants to go in. In own experience and training people, I've seen animals messed up and gone unruly with feed being used.

You need to put a nose ring in it will give you a lot more control. I know where live most shows require all bulls 12 months or older to have a nose ring. Do you have another calf that you can get into the trailer first so that he has someone to follow?

By all means put a nose ring in him. But do not try to use it to lead him. It is there to keep him from getting out of control. You should try to use a rope halter rather than all the fancy ones. He may need to be tied up high if you are not currentlty tieing him. He will begin to get respect for the halter and what it is for. Then you you need to be patient but keep working on leading him some everyday. He needs to be able to trust you 1st then respect you. As far as getting him in the trailer, We used to run a long lead through one of the slats up at the front of the trailer. Then we would get behind and push him/her in while pulling on the lead. It usually took us a couple times. But even the hardest headed ones usually got in easy by the third trip. This can be a fear or hard head problem. Either way repition and not giving in (in a patient controlled atmosphere) have typically been my best medicine. Good luck.

Thats how we pull calves in the trailer on horseback in the pasture. We welded two 2 inch trailer balls on both sides of a half top stock trailer so the rope can slide easily and it doesnt come off then We rope them and drag them to the trailer then you walk your horse up along the side and toss your rope over the ball on the side of the trailer and you walk toword the calf and it drags them in there if they are standing or not. If you have a horse you could tie another halter to the end of the calves halter and then tie the end around your saddlehorn and take off walking. Be sure not to hurt him since he is prolly worth a little bit of money. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS CONFUSING BUT I CANT REALLY EXPLAIN IT ANY BETTER.

Braunviehboy":2bq4gm4u said:
This show bull is a 11 month old. First problem is that he will not get up in the triler. If I put feed in it he will go in some time later. What do I do? Second problem I am trying to lead him by a spring loaded lead. The lead has rubbed a sore spot in his nose and every time I put it in he puts his head up. Do I need to stop and let it heal or put a ring in for good.

Do not pull on the nose lead so much that it has rubbed a sore spot.

How well does this bull lead otherwise? If you're having problems besides getting him on the trailer then don't even bother with the trailer until he leads willingly other places. When he leads well other places then walk up to the trailer and stop him before you get to it. Set him up, mess with him, but don't even ask him to load. Walk him away, without even asking him to load. Do this until you can tell he's relaxed about the trailer, and you are too! Start working him closer to the trailer then ask him to put a leg up. Tie off the rope inside so you can wait him out and the only way he gets slack on the halter is to go forward into the trailer. Be very patient!

Make sure the trailer is hooked up at all times when you are getting him trained to load, you don't want it rocking excessively! Make sure the bed of the trailer is not slick. While training him you might want to park the trailer in a depression so he doesn't have to step very high.

FWIW, we NEVER push a show animal onto a trailer. We never ask them to get on a trailer until they lead well. Most of them never get on a trailer until heading to their first show. When loading the first time we go slow so they don't slip. Also, never rush them getting off the trailer! Our show animals load and unload like puppy dogs.

Chris H":12lcu5qn said:
FWIW, we NEVER push a show animal onto a trailer. We never ask them to get on a trailer until they lead well. Most of them never get on a trailer until heading to their first show. When loading the first time we go slow so they don't slip. Also, never rush them getting off the trailer! Our show animals load and unload like puppy dogs.

Sorry to side track the post but just curious.... Chris why do you not push a calf into the trailer? see my reply to the OR. I have'nt had a problem but I guess that does'nt mean it wont be a problem...

Avalon":msyegzel said:
Chris H":msyegzel said:

Sorry to side track the post but just curious.... Chris why do you not push a calf into the trailer? see my reply to the OR. I have'nt had a problem but I guess that does'nt mean it wont be a problem...

I think it's mostly a matter of our attitude toward handling the show cattle. Animals heading off to the salebarn for feeding out, or slaughter, or even back to the farm as breeding stock might need pushed on the trailer, or squeeze gates to force them on. We like our show cattle to know if we lead them, they can trust us to follow. We've only been showing open class breeding stock 7 years, and it's an attitude and method of handling we've developed during that time. It's a method that works well for us.

And a word of caution -- I did say our show animals load like puppy dogs, please keep in mind that even puppy dogs have bad days and a 2000 lb puppy dog needs an alert person on the end of the lead!

we have a dark colored stock trailer, we found that the cattles will load better if the inside trailer lights are on or if the side man door is open. usually we have no problems loading them. they dont seem to like the dark. jmo

i didnt read the replys but the nose ring situation, i definetly say yes, and as someone said, dont use it to lead him, nose rings are more for the the ones who drop there head and bolt, you can control them and keep them from getting out of hand, but dont think it helps them to lead

:santa:

I've talked with some people at a show over the weekend and they say put a ring in. So I am putting a ring in as soon as I can. I see there is different types of rings I've seen some with knife points some that bolt together what is the best to put in or what do you use. Do you get a vet out and do it. How long before you use it after putting the ring in.

Braunviehboy":3q66bh48 said:
I've talked with some people at a show over the weekend and they say put a ring in. So I am putting a ring in as soon as I can. I see there is different types of rings I've seen some with knife points some that bolt together what is the best to put in or what do you use. Do you get a vet out and do it. How long before you use it after putting the ring in.

Since you are taking the advice of someone who has seen you, and I assume the bull, then you should have asked their advice on what type, how to put it in, and how to use it.

As others here have said, get the ring in soon and I would let the vet do it. He won't associate you with the "ringing" :) , let him be upset with the vet....
For future thought with show bulls, what we do is ring them at about 6 or 7 months but do not put a lead on it for at least a month. (Only used as an "emergency brake")

Try putting a towel over his head (covering his eyes) before putting the ring in. We've put nose rings in a couple of young bulls and it worked a treat for us.

Latest posts