bull sucking mama cows

Help Support CattleToday:

With a heifer I'd try a nose flap. I think I'd just sell a bull, though. I'd be afraid he'd ruin or injure cows trying to nurse with the flap in.

I had one on him and he got it off somehow, but he is back to sucking. I am going to put it back on him and try and watch him and if it continues he will have to go.

Hate to say it but, if it were mine I'd sell it. I don't think the nose flaps would be too effective on a bull. He'd probably rub them off pretty quick and be back at it.

The way I see it you have 2 choices.
1. Haul him to the very next sale.
2. Make a lot of hamburger out of him tomorrow.

Several years ago I broke a bull of sucking with a BB gun.. If I remember right I never let him see the gun or did he know it was me
giving him grief. Got to when he put his head down by a cow I could fire the gun empty and he would jump away from the cow.
Just don't be so close you put a BB in the hide. He never gave me any trouble after that. Thanks for the reminder!

They do have Crown weaning rings that go through their nose like a regular nose ring. The points poke the cows. They work on Hfrs. I'd probably ship the bull.

Other than taking the bull to sale is there any other options.
I had a yearling Corriente bull that started nursing a cow. At first I was totally disgusted with my cow,
then realized he had figured out to nurse from behind while she was letting her calf nurse. He also would place one horn over her back with the other horn basically down along her flank to prevent her from moving, it was almost like one of those "Cow Can't Kick" clamps they use on dairy cows. I kept him a very short time longer to be sure the cows were bred, then he took a scenic ride to the auction.

Latest posts