bull prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

hargis69

Reaction score
I was wondering if prolapsing could genetic? I have a cow that her last to bulls have prolapsed. I thought it was just bad luck on the first bull, but now the second calf has now starting to prolapse. The mother has been bread to different bulls the last two years. Just wondering?

In my limited experience rectal prolapse (other then in blue butt pigs) seems to be feed related.

Rectal prolapse, or preputial prolapse?

Rectal - not likely to be hereditary, other than structural/conformational defects that might predispose to prolapsing.

Preputial - yes, sort of hereditary; if it's polled breed, they lack the 'retractor prepuce' muscles that are present in horned animals, and are predisposed to prolapsing preputial tissue which can subsequently become lacerated/inflamed, etc.

they are born with too much rectal tube which leads to part of it loose enough to come out, so i would think it is definitely hereditary. at least that is the way a vet explained ti to me

tncattle467":15096c8q said:
Preputial - yes, sort of hereditary; if it's polled breed, they lack the 'retractor prepuce' muscles that are present in horned animals, and are predisposed to prolapsing preputial tissue which can subsequently become lacerated/inflamed, etc

What?

That is the funniest thing I ever heard LOl.

Dont know what is so funny, You should read up on it. That is correct.

If he did that then he would no longer be ignorant........an would consequently have no idea how to act.

Have a look here, tn467:
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/l ... cus-sheath

I got my start in veterinary practice right down there in your neck of the woods where I had the 'opportunity' to work on a whole bunch of Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, and other Brahman-influenced cattle in the late '80s, but I've also seen preputial prolapses/lacerations on a regular basis in Angus cattle.

Latest posts