Bull Price

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
Ive got a Black Angus bull out of registered stock. He's 2 1/2 years old and has sired six calves from my three cows, five of which were bull calves. He is good natured and has not been any problems to keep. He weighs probably 1400-1500 lbs. Would $2000.00 be too much to ask for a bull like this?

He is a used bull. You are free to ask what you want but his real world value is $.95 to $1.05 a lb on todays market!

OK thanks for the info. I thought maybe he would bring better than just the sale barn price.

The above posters are right, he's is a $1,500 bull hanging on a rail. To a backyard guy, you might spend $50 getting a semen and trich test done and get $2,000 for him. Ask $2,000 and he can talk you down to $1,750 and you're still a little ahead. That is, if that is your goal. For $200, I wouldn't worry about the hassle and the trying to sell him, I'd just roll him. JMHO.

1500$ is fair, but it is entirely possible you can get more than he is worth. I have a friend that is new to cattle that has about 20 good angus cows, he needed a bull so I offered him a 4 year old in focus bull that was a heck of a bull for 2500$, he thought he was to old so he whent and bought a 18 month old registered angus that would not have made a good steer and walks like a Holstein for 2500$ and the guy don't know the difference. So you could get lucky and find a buyer for more than market value.

Thanks for the responses. This is all new to me too and what with the different grades and variations in parts of the country, its hard to know what a fair price is. As with all things, education is expensive but I don't want it to cost me too much.

mtnhunter":bm2drhyt said:
Thanks for the responses. This is all new to me too and what with the different grades and variations in parts of the country, its hard to know what a fair price is. As with all things, education is expensive but I don't want it to cost me too much.

:2cents: That's a lot of bull expense for 3 cows...... Just saying.

1982vett":1q5zbg8v said:
mtnhunter":1q5zbg8v said:

:2cents: That's a lot of bull expense for 3 cows...... Just saying.
Yea, if you are just going to replace him with a $3500 bull you would be better off keeping him no matter the quality.

Took a class in AI and am hoping to go that route and not have to keep a bull. Im sure there will be more questions to come!

Latest posts