Bull Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I'm visiting a Hereford ranch in western Kansas that has not
fed any grain for about 7 years. They are the only herd in North America that feeds absolutely no grain and still
participates in whole herd reporting with the AHA.

I thought I would show you a 5 year old bull that has never received any grain. What do you think?

CED -0.5
BW+3.1
WW +35
YW+65
MILK +10
MILK Growth +28
CEM+1.6

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

His head looks a little too big for my taste---but maybe that
is just the horns ....I like the way he's built.

There is a breeder in Oklahoma named Gary Lentz that raises Horned Herefords that look a lot like that bull. I know this because a commercial breeder back east here has a bull that is horned that looks just like that bull. Made the same way and frame score. Very nice looking bull; very thick, with possibly a bigger square head than I like to see on bulls. :cboy:

That's a excellent bull, I love his lines and appearance. Nice front end with the legs in the exact position they are supposed to be in. I think his head is fine. Adequate muscle, might be as good a Hereford bull I have seen in a while. He appears to be more moderate than what we see up here, but I think he's good.

Very impressive bull. Seems to be thick, deep and long enough with good legs and looks like big enough nuts. I don't think his head is to big.

nice looking bull...good to see another horned hereford breeder :) ...this is a solid bull...its hard for a bull to look good when he's this size...from my experience with thick bulls...their rear doesn't match up with their front...but this bull goes together good...does he always stand with his hind feet that close together?...seems like you could just give him a little push and he'd tip over

But again...thats a nice looking bull...I really like his color too :)

Yep, them back feet would be the only thing I'd fail him on. Real good lookin' bull, but them back ones should be planted as wide as the front ones. 'Course when you actually have GOOD cattle posted on here, you really have to look to find these things. And he falls under the category of GOOD quite handily. ;-)

Scared of his -0.5 CED number. Get serious, I don't know or care what the averages are on that EPD.

I think these EPD's are getting a little out of hand. I envision an EPD for the size of cow/bull Sh_t that is to large and causing more damage to pasture than those cattle than take smaller more frequent turds. We are blessed with all the technology that we have today but I think we act smarter than we actually are. Calving ease is a simple as this and should be the guidline for breeders selling bulls.

Born assisted or unassisted.....cut the ones you had to help because the cow was having trouble. Maybe people pull them to quick but in the REAL world this is it.
Born alive or dead! The dead ones don't recreate and the live ones made it past.

I can't imagine how the oldtimers actually were able to breed cattle before they had all these numbers.

Oh wait, I know how! COMMON SENSE! Plus, intuition and being real cattlemen. Anyone with a set of eyes and 1/2 a brain can read and understand EPD's, not just anyone can breed cattle.

Sorry for the ranting and raving but this stuff is really starting to piss me off. Where are the "cattlemen"

As good a bull as I've seen in some time.

Hill Creek, it's Jim Lentz, and yes his bulls do look like that.

Jerry, do you have any Day Hereford photos? I'd love for you to post them if so.

A -.5 EPD is not far from breed average. That is a half a point. Doesn't scare me at all. Most of my cows have had that bad or worse assigned to them, and we've never pulled a calf in five years.

He is a good looking bull. It is hard to tell because the pic of his butt is so shaded out, but the problem isn't with his feet or legs but his hips are to narrow. Spread that butt out and he will have a wider stance.

Doc,

You're right...this bull's dam is 1/2 linebred anxiety. He isn't a little one however. We roughly measured him in the pasture and he is about a frame score 6.5-7.

He was standing to urinate and didn't move the entire time I circled him taking photos. You can see from this photo how stretched out he was. The perspective of the first photo I posted did make his head appear a bit larger...I think this photo shows it isn't quite a larger as it may have appeared in the first photo.

photo6.jpg

Green Willow,

I didn't take any photos of Mr. Day's or Jim Lents' cattle the day
I visited their ranches as it was raining both days. I hope to
make it back to Mr. Day's place and I'll try to snap some then.

Jerry

jhambley":1ldqqlij said:
Green Willow,

I didn't take any photos of Mr. Day's or Jim Lents' cattle the day
I visited their ranches as it was raining both days. I hope to
make it back to Mr. Day's place and I'll try to snap some then.

Jerry

Thanks. How do you think the old 641 bull stacks up to this youngster?

jhambley said:
I'm visiting a Hereford ranch in western Kansas that has not
fed any grain for about 7 years. They are the only herd in North America that feeds absolutely no grain and still
participates in whole herd reporting with the AHA.

Jhambley,

How do you know that this herd is "the only herd in North America that feeds absolutely no grain and still participates in the whole herd reporting with the AHA?"

The AHA doesn't have any record of what these herds feed so the only way to know is to personally ask each and every herd in the AHA program.

Well, she prints that claim in many of the major Hereford publications and is quite well known by the folks at the association. If her claims were untrue I think she would have been called on it by now.

Whether she is the "only one" or not wasn't the deciding factor for me. Seeing the cattle last winter running on forage only and this spring with their calves was helpful in selecting animals that kept their condition on sparse inputs.

Here is a photo of that same bull this past winter. You can see that he was still in pretty good condition.

winterphoto.jpg

winterphoto2.jpg

Latest posts