Bull insurance claim question

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
This is more directed towards the northern members as they might have experienced it. Wondering if anyone has ever made an insurance claim on a bull for frostbitten testicles. Does the company avoid paying if one testicle is still viable, or do they go based on a semen test? Just so happens that renewal date is around the corner, so time is of the essence.

Sorry I can't answer your question Aaron but I couldn't help but think how glad it's your bull that has that problem and not myself. Ouch :bang:

I quit insuring bulls because the coverage seemed too limited.

I'm with dun. My advice is to have your agent go over and explain the fine print in your policy to your satisfaction. My insurance didn't cover if the bull got a broken tool, went lame, or otherwise lived but became useless as a bull. I'm sure frozen jewels would also fall in this category.

The only thing insurance paid for was if the bull died from an act of god such as lightning. Possibly a blizzard. Not if the bull just gets sick and kicks the bucket.

A guy can be insuranced to death.

Have never had to deal with it, but really you're just going to have to deal with the agent anyways. Then if they give you sluff about being able to breed with one nut I'd fight them, along with a vets diagnosis. They'll likely want a test to base things on. That said I've seen bulls fail tests with less than frostbite damage.

Is he showing black skin damage?

We have had different kind nds of policies, some cover mortality, and others cover mortality and loss of breeding ability. Of course the latter is more expensive. If your policy covers loss of breeding ability, you will need at least one vet to sign off on it. We haven't ever had to claim on ours, but I'm sure it will be a PITA. Best of luck!

Supa Dexta":3epbjzgc said:
Have never had to deal with it, but really you're just going to have to deal with the agent anyways. Then if they give you sluff about being able to breed with one nut I'd fight them, along with a vets diagnosis. They'll likely want a test to base things on. That said I've seen bulls fail tests with less than frostbite damage.

Is he showing black skin damage?

At one point maybe yes, but the temperature fluctuations these days change my opinion everyday. I found the long form insurance papers and it spells out 35% coverage for one testicle loss. Not really decent weather to do any testing now, so I will likely just renew my coverage and reevaluate later this spring.

Latest posts