Bull injury

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
While feeding the bulls last week I noticed that one of them was limping on his back foot. The foot appears fine but after watching him walk he appears to have a "click" in his ankle. It's almost like it hits a point and breaks over. You wouldn't notice he was injured unless you saw him after a long rest where it appears to be stiff, otherwise just the click. Any ideas?

Isomade":3bevbzu3 said:
While feeding the bulls last week I noticed that one of them was limping on his back foot. The foot appears fine but after watching him walk he appears to have a "click" in his ankle. It's almost like it hits a point and breaks over. You wouldn't notice he was injured unless you saw him after a long rest where it appears to be stiff, otherwise just the click. Any ideas?
Has he been over to your neighbors. It could be his fault.

M5farm":20y3vynt said:
Isomade":20y3vynt said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

M5farm":26s1deip said:
Isomade":26s1deip said:
:lol: :lol: :clap:

Isomade":3jp6aiab said:

I don't know if he is servicing any girls right now or stepped in a hole.
Sounds like he has injured or sprained the pastern, coffin or fetlock joint.
Could happen from jumping fences as well or by the neighbors bull.
Without putting him a squeeze chute be hard to say.

Same thing happened to my Gelbvieh bull last spring about a week after I turned him out. I gave him a shot of banamine and put him up for a few days. He laid up for a couple of days and got over it totally in a couple of weeks.

In retrospect it looks like he did it by working overtime. My calves are coming pretty close together it seems like he bred all but one of them before or while he was hurt. :tiphat: and she is probably headed down the road for breeding slow 2 years in a row.

Isomade":3oqrkshc said:

My reading comprehension may be wrong as it has been a really long day, but this statement leads me to believe that they are not with any girls yet .

However I think an anti inflam would definitely help him.

hillsdown":245o0wiz said:
Isomade":245o0wiz said:

My reading comprehension may be wrong as it has been a really long day, but this statement leads me to believe that they are not with any girls yet .

However I think an anti inflam would definitely help him.
You would be correct

I suspect there has been some pushing going on. Last couple days my bull knows spring is coming and he's been head butting the front tire of my tractor when I'm putting out hay.

I've got a 14 year old cow that has done that for the last 3 seasons. Excactly as you describe. At about 3 months bred she starts walking with click. No swelling and nothing in her hoof. She calves and its gone. Vet and another guy told me it was the calf on a nerve.
Since your bull probably ain't bred, could of been wrestling and threw something out or twisted something.
Last year vet happened to be here when she was doing it and gave an anti inflammatory. Lessened it but it didn't go away till she delivered the calf. Again. And she's doing it now as well. Calve in May.
May not be related in any way to yours, but you described her temporary "click" to a tee.

M5farm":v1bx595b said:
I suspect there has been some pushing going on. Last couple days my bull knows spring is coming and he's been head butting the front tire of my tractor when I'm putting out hay.

I agree. Some pushing and raring up on each other. I was up in MIssouri this weekend, to buy a couple bulls, and there were about 10 or so together and they were jumping up on each other. It should heal up.. how old is that bull?

Limomike":39w43ytq said:
M5farm":39w43ytq said:

I agree. Some pushing and raring up on each other. I was up in MIssouri this weekend, to buy a couple bulls, and there were about 10 or so together and they were jumping up on each other. It should heal up.. how old is that bull?
26 months

Latest posts