Bull Choice ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I've got mianly Angus type cows all at least 1/2 up to Purebred 6 are Reg. angus. I've got 4 Reg. black Gelbviehs. My question based on my cow herd is this,what type of bull wuold you run on these cows for best all around gain,keeper females etc. I was looking at Black Blaze face 3/4 simm.1/4Maine, Purebred black Gelvieh,Blk. Balancer,or Blk.Angus. Any thoughts would be appreciated. B&G

I think I'd be looking for a balancer if I had that mix of cows. Your calves would range from three-quarters gelbvieh to three quarters angus and should be fairly uniform.

I would go with Simmental (surprise!!)
The 3/4 would work - but I would go with a PB, all offspring would be registerable 1/2 bloods.
The Angus x Simmental are about the hottest, most popular cross currently. They make awesome feedlot cattle & just as awesome cows.
Angus represent the number 1 rated British breed and Simmental number 1 Continental according the the MARC research. Hard to beat the way they compliment each other.

What's your plan? I would use a gelbvieh and then a balancer bull you would keep a 50-50 herd. Then go angus to bring a change then start over again with gelbvieh then balancer. You'll make a couple of bucks. :bday:

Thanks for the thoughts,keep them coming. I already have a real good polled Hereford bull. With my herd being large enough I was looking to bring in a second bull I was wanting to end up with some great crossbreed steers and keeper type Heifers. Jeanne,these Black blaze faced bulls I'm looking at have a 1/8 to 1/4 Maine should that consern me,also he has a all Black Simmy maine bull would that be better? All his bulls are 3/4 to 7/8 Simmy 1/8 to 1/4 maine

jerry27150":3s6b501p said:
i would use santa-gertrudis or brangus, would make great calves for sale or keeping

I am curious as to what part of Kansas do they pay more, for a little extra leather or some extra sheath. Nothing against either of those breeds but WHY?

B&G - we all have our breed preferences. Obviously, I'm a Simmental breeder.
But, we all know that british x continental gives you the biggest bang for the buck (or Bos Ind x BosTaurus - but I don't think you need any eared cattle in Kansas)
The research has proven the benefits of Simmental. They are a maternal breed with great growth.
Blaze face cattle are high in demand in our breed. The only thing I really have against Maines is their poor milking ability, but 1/8 to 1/4 would totally be offset by the milking ability of the Simmental. Maine's biggest claim to fame is their great HAIR - they make awesome club calves.
The Simm x Maine x Angus is about the hottest clubbie cross - unless I'm behind time.
Are any of these % Simmies registered? A 7/8 will allow you to register the offspring - giving you options of registered cattle in the future.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ax9mjsc said:
B&G - we all have our breed preferences. Obviously, I'm a Simmental breeder.
But, we all know that british x continental gives you the biggest bang for the buck (or Bos Ind x BosTaurus - but I don't think you need any eared cattle in Kansas)
The research has proven the benefits of Simmental. They are a maternal breed with great growth.
Blaze face cattle are high in demand in our breed. The only thing I really have against Maines is their poor milking ability, but 1/8 to 1/4 would totally be offset by the milking ability of the Simmental. Maine's biggest claim to fame is their great HAIR - they make awesome club calves.
The Simm x Maine x Angus is about the hottest clubbie cross - unless I'm behind time.
Are any of these % Simmies registered? A 7/8 will allow you to register the offspring - giving you options of registered cattle in the future.

No they are not Reg./papered Bulls but,the owner has been a AI tech for over 30 years his whole herd he built from AI. I just raise mostly commerical calves. Just looking for right cross for best all around benefits. Thanks so much for everyone's input. B&G

I'd select a Black Lim-Flex sire to add some more thickness & muscling to your herd. Look for a Lim-Flex that is easy doing with an ability to add muscle & cover

Balancer isn't a bad pick but look for some 50/50 Simangus Bulls... reason being, you'll get a bit of h.vigor on both crosses and still be maternal all the way.

I like the idea of Simmental. Those half and 3/4 bloods are hot, and really produce some great cattle. The females make great cows, and the steers hit the scale heavy.
Here is a pic of a bull that is 3/4 Simm, 1/8 Maine and 1/8 Angus. He is THICK, big boned, and 8 months old in the pic (and standing funny on the front, his left leg was turned out). He has a white face. His dam is a Macho half blood, and is one of our top cows. We are flushing her next week with the same mating as the bull pictured.
I do not think you can go wrong with Simm cross.
mo_LCF_2012_small.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":gzhqob38 said:
Is that 3C Macho?
His dam is a 3C Macho x Draft Pic/Angus, he is a Mo Better. I have two 3C Macho cows in my herd, BEST cows! Perfect udders and teats, always raises my best calves. My other Macho cow is a purebred (by Summer Sister), and she is raising twin bull calves by Rendition.
Isn't your bull by Macho also?

Fire Sweep Ranch":1lmo3o56 said:
I like the idea of Simmental. Those half and 3/4 bloods are hot, and really produce some great cattle. The females make great cows, and the steers hit the scale heavy.
Here is a pic of a bull that is 3/4 Simm, 1/8 Maine and 1/8 Angus. He is THICK, big boned, and 8 months old in the pic (and standing funny on the front, his left leg was turned out). He has a white face. His dam is a Macho half blood, and is one of our top cows. We are flushing her next week with the same mating as the bull pictured.
I do not think you can go wrong with Simm cross.
mo_LCF_2012_small.jpg

I like him alot! He looks GOOD!

A Lim-Flex will milk as well as an average SimmAngus cow just it hasn't been marketed quiet as heavy. Just as there are some good milking Simms there are also many poor milking Simms out in the beef world & they are all being marketed with the same brush.

My last simmental bull had "onward" blood lines and didn't do nothing for milking on his heifers. Sure made some big cows, with no calving problems.
Where did the black simmental come from??

Latest posts