Bull Choice??

Help Support CattleToday:

H4 Cattle Co

Reaction score
Im fairly new to owning my own cattle i have been dealing with them all my life.... I have mostly black angus based cows with some red angus and charolais... Im wanting to run either a grey brahman bull or a hereford bull (more the brahman) for replacement hiefers. What would be a good choice of bull and explain thanks..

I would go with a Hereford bull. Are you going to AI. If you are I would either go with 3027 or some of his progeny or grandkids. There are even some polled bulls available that goes back to him. I've seen progeny of many of the AI sires available and the 3027's for heifers are what many respected commercial breeders and purebred breeders use when using a hereford.

elkwc
I have another question whats the difference in the polled and horned genetics?? (i know one with horns and one with out) Is there any difference in them?

ELKWC im not going to AI at this point... im looking at some bulls near my house and some bulls out of ceadrtown,Ga

I like your idea of using a Brahman bull to raise replacements, but you'll probably take a beating on the steers. You might want to consider using a Hereford first, which will also produce good steers, and then go back on the black baldy heifers with a Brangus bull to get some ear in your calves.

If you need the ear in your cows due to area climate conditions then I'd buy the best Brangus bull you can afford...heifers you will keep will have 3/16% Brahman in them enough for most places unless you are in marsh country on the coast. Then use a Hereford or Charolais bull on those females.

If you do not need the ear in your cows go with a Hereford or Charolais bull both will yield top market calves.

I apprciate the in put fellas my plan is to run the hereford bull get some replacements and later on get a brangus bull to put on em.

H4 Cattle Co":15gvbvdz said:
I apprciate the in put fellas my plan is to run the hereford bull get some replacements and later on get a brangus bull to put on em.

That should work nicely.

Latest posts