bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
I had a mix of bull and heifer calves last year and never gave it much thought but should you wean bull calves earlier than the optimum 7 month weaning time frame? Only thought for this is to prevent heifers in the pasture from being bred by young bulls. Just looking for opinions, and what others do? Thanks

We wean bulls, steers and heifers all at the same time, arournd 6 1/2 to 7 months. At weaning we give the heifers a shot of lut then when we booster them 3 weeks later we give them another one.

dun":3v89fx6b said:
We wean bulls, steers and heifers all at the same time, arournd 6 1/2 to 7 months. At weaning we give the heifers a shot of lut then when we booster them 3 weeks later we give them another one.
X2

Rafter S, I have one bull calf that I really like so I elected to not band him right away to see how he develops. Just curious, cause we had a situation a couple years ago where the wife bought a yearling race horse and it had been bred by a yearling stud in the same pen, breeders didn't think they had to worry about the yearlings yet. Didn't want the same thing to happen with the calves. I planned pulling the calves off when they hit 7 months just wanted to get some thoughts from more experience. Thanks

Latest posts