Bull Calves April 2022

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Just a few quick shots from a pretty spring day. At this point I would say the bulls are ahead of the heifers here this year.. probably a dozen bull calves are this good or close.. not bad out of 23.. First is a group shot with only one weak one in it, of course he is smack in the middle.

Next is a October calf out of Sydgen Stealth..

An October Sydgen Black Diamond calf

Another October calf out of Sydgen Process 4648 and a JMB Traction cow..

Anyone have a favorite?

The Black Diamond followed by the Process. The middle one just needs a bit more time to grow into his frame.
I've got a dink in with my bull calves and he always seems to catch your eye for the worst, he has got to go. The jumbo elastrator broke when I was loading a band on it. My offsider has been out of action due to an operation, hopefully she can hold the tail for me this week. She has a load limit of 5 kg, hopefully his tail will stay under that.

Ken

Can't Tell much about the one facing away in the first picture but he looks great from the back side view.

Thanks for the kind words. They are growing well at this point.

BFE,
You picked out the stud in this deal.. he is out of 2 generations of walking bulls so I figured no one would care too much about him..

80 % bahia grass hay (crappy mature bahia)
20% rye grass hay
hay above from november thru january.
rye grass pasture jan /feb and early march
struggling for grass right now still feeding alittle hay..
creep fed from about march 1st thru weaning (may 20th)

Thanks for the kind words. They are growing well at this point.

BFE,
You picked out the stud in this deal.. he is out of 2 generations of walking bulls so I figured no one would care too much about him..
I would rather have the proven bloodline that thrives in my environment than the AI studs.

Also, it appears you've made some good selections with your (I assume) cleanup bulls. Show us more, and I would be more inclined to follow that route, given the success you're having. It's hard to top Mother Nature's selection process.

the stealth calf is really coming on, probably second heaviest calf out there.. gonna really make the kinda steer i like.. 6 frame 1350# in january without pushing him.. too hard. the black diamonds are still the most consistent cattle here.. all grow well frame is perfect and the females make above avg cows

bfe,
the process cattle trace back to a graham cow (south ga), but honestly missouri fescue cattle have always worked here because they prioritize slick hair like we do..
steers fed all the way out are the money makers here so an emphasis on marbling and radg in the right frame are the most important priorities in our replacement for the process bull we sold last spring. we are really excited about his potential.. he is a sydgen gavel x gar prophet bull with a 1.23 marbling (top 4%) with a 329 $c (top 1%) and a 94 $m (top 1%).. he was cleanup on heifers this winter..

Latest posts