bull calf potential pics

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
hello again. here is one for all the tried and tested producers and knowledgeable hobby farmers. this is a 2 and a half month old bull calf sired by a bull called free town baron. what are your thoughts on him and can you tell at this early stage if he is a potential herd sire.
Picture108.jpg
Picture110.jpg
Picture122.jpg
Picture113.jpg

I'll bite.

Gosh he's big for his age! And very masculine. Honestly, I can't say much about him from these pics - the first couple are at awkward angles and show him with almost zero balance - which would go against him in my eyes, except it could very well just be the angle of the photos. I'm not sure his back legs are quite correct for a herd sire.

For me it has been very hard to tell till they hit that 2-21/2 year mark if I will really like them. They seem to go thru so many changes in their growth spurts. Will buy a yearling I really like and six months later I don't like him at all, another six months and I like him again. Hard to tell from pics. He sure is a growthy fella.

sporder":8omajcac said:
thats why i posted him really. he has grown well early which is something id like to pass on to future offspring.

I am not judging him one way or the other but, remember you don't get to choose what else he will pass along.

Start with checking for a symmetrical set of testicles. I've found that to be the only common denominator in all "potential" herdsires. ;-)

3waycross":14k69hn1 said:
sporder":14k69hn1 said:
thats why i posted him really. he has grown well early which is something id like to pass on to future offspring.

I am not judging him one way or the other but, remember you don't get to choose what else he will pass along.
my luck,,,, it would be the #107 birth weight

sporder":1a5k26da said:
must confess i dont want too many with that birth weight but dont mind the growth. he was out of heifer and only needed a slight pull
a slight pull, is still a pull to me "requiring assistants"' dont want me nurn of that... she could be needing it while im here at work plunking on these keys :cowboy:

107 pounder out of a heifer in July is enough reason to send him packing for me. :shock:

His birth weight and rear legs would make me question whether or not he would make a good herd bull. But like Keren said it may just be the pics. He is very growthy that is for sure . Do you have pics of his dam ?

You sure live in pretty country Sporder, absolutely beautiful .. :)

i live in england. a place called the isle of wight about as far south as you can go in england. the heifer was born in april 08 so have to wait untill 15 months to serve her. i decided to ai her and another cow. she did nt take untill the third ai which meant we lost time and put her out of cink. thats the main reason i invested in a better bull so i dont have to rely on ai

sporder":3a4xgqwf said:
i live in england. a place called the isle of wight about as far south as you can go in england. the heifer was born in april 08 so have to wait untill 15 months to serve her. i decided to ai her and another cow. she did nt take untill the third ai which meant we lost time and put her out of cink. thats the main reason i invested in a better bull so i dont have to rely on ai

My fault! I thought you were from Australia. I would worry much more about a 107 lb. calf born in summer than in winter. Of course, how the heifer was fed would also be a factor...but I'd sure be wary of using a bull with an actual BW that large. Growthy calf though! What bull was the sire of the calf?

George

Latest posts