Bulk Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
A friend of mine made me a small bulk tank for sacks of feed out of a 55 gallon drum. Sooooo much easier. THanks Kaneranch

I do that too. Plastic barrels, cut the top off, fill it with grain (holds about 200lbs), and then set the top back on. Works great.

My grandpa used to do that for chicken feed. He built a cradle to hold a steel drum at an angle, and cut a hole in the bottom. Built a slide gate to open the hole to fill his bucket.

we will cut a hole in the top big enough for a coffee can and your hand and then put hinges on the barrel and piece cut off. works great. these are plastic ones, by the way.

I do this as well. While working in Indiana last year, found a guy that sold 55 gal. drums that had been filled with orange juice. They work great. Wish I had bought more.

You can also get the ones that held chocolate and syrups and such. There are also ones that held the chemicals spray on bedliners are blended from. They are metal wtih the latch seal lids and rubber gaskets. When you put the lid on and latch it with the ring, ants can't get in. I've got six of them. There are some feed stores that sell them in 55 gallon size for $12. The plastic 60 gallon barrels run about $8.

That's how I keep the mice out of my feed. Where I used to work we had a contract where we got 55 gallon drums of glue. The drums were lined with plastic and when the glue was gone you just took out the lining. I am glad to have them, otherwise, I would have mice all in the feed.

I did have a raccoon crawl into one once when the lid was on loose and couldn't get out. I didn't really want to mess with him. He was pretty mad in there!

My uncle always set up a couple of saw-horses and a couple of boards between them to lay a sheet of plywood on top for use as a table. Covered the table with plastic sheets which he left hanging down part way. Then stacked the feed sacks on top and the mice never got to them.

Guess if they climbed the saw horses they couldn't get past the plastic hanging down and also couldn't jump on the plastic and get a grip to climb up to the top. Go figure! :???:

Of course he used barrels in the smaller barns where he fed the steaks (uh I mean calves). :mrgreen:

Latest posts