bulk feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
wanting to know what is the smallest bulk feeder you can find and who is it with. gone every other day with job but would like to keep the feed in front of the calves. only have about 5 calvers that i am weaning. wanting to find a bulk feeded to use that would fit my needes.

We have an old Elk River that only holds a couple of hundred pounds a nieghbor has one by the same company that holds a couple of tons. They're easy to make out of wood and can be built on skids to facilitate moving them from place to palce

dun

dun":2ljws6jl said:
We have an old Elk River that only holds a couple of hundred pounds a nieghbor has one by the same company that holds a couple of tons. They're easy to make out of wood and can be built on skids to facilitate moving them from place to palce

dun

Dun, You wouldn't happen to have a drawing or pic. would you? I've recently finished several furniture projects(couple of armoirs), and I might as well put the woodworking skills to use for me.

cattlepictures166.jpg

This was pretty simple to make...thinking of adding a snow flap on the feeder side.

Susie David":14m9bzp9 said:
cattlepictures166.jpg

This was pretty simple to make...thinking of adding a snow flap on the feeder side.
can you give some kind of blue print on this here. i dont need one real big will want have more then ten calves on it at a time and what kind of price would it coast. i can get the tubs for free

dun":16p7bpty said:

dun

I know that the steel feeders are a little spendy, and that they can come with standard or galvanized sheet metal. I like the looks of the Canadian plywood design. Any estimates on cost and life for a threated plywood feeder on skids?

Stocker Steve":2tk7ghc1 said:
dun":2tk7ghc1 said:

dun

I know that the steel feeders are a little spendy, and that they can come with standard or galvanized sheet metal. I like the looks of the Canadian plywood design. Any estimates on cost and life for a threated plywood feeder on skids?

Using exterior plywood and screws instead of nails, about the only thing that goes bad (rots) is the skids. They seem to need replacing every 5-10 years depending on the conditions and how rocky the ground is when they're pulled around. Rough cut oak seems to hold up the best for the skids. The ones built with screws start to fall apart in a year or so from the flexing of the feeder.

dun

I plan to build the Canadian #1649 (Imperial of course) with plated or stainless screws. I get tired of humping 5 gallon pails to remote pastures. Some of the bigger operators around here have gone to TMR wagons but I am not enthused about the up front investment or the operating costs.

Do you have you any feeding tips or durability experience with wood self feeders containing salt limited feed? Doc Hazard pushed this but salt limited feed seems to have fallen out of favor now days.

Latest posts