Bulk Feed TN / North Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I'm getting more interested on learning about feed. I have been using the Co-op 14% pellets but have moved to the Performance Feeds 14% grower. What are you guys in the Middle TN/ North AL area using that you like? Thanks. Also are you guys still liking the Co-op 5 ton bin?

I'm north of the area that your asking about, but what I'm using you should have access to. I'm feeding half ddg, and cracked corn. I kindly allow my kids to mix it with a shovel in an old water trough. The feed bins are nice, and would be preffered by me, if I had the money. A gravity wagon will do the same, plus it's mobil. If either of those ingredients aren't within driving distance, you'll have to go bulk delivery. I'd do ⅓ soyhull pellets, ⅓ ddg,and ⅓ cracked corn. I'm not saving a fortune with my new mix,but the kids are building character, and character is important.

Bigfoot":2qouyux7 said:
I'm north of the area that your asking about, but what I'm using you should have access to. I'm feeding half ddg, and cracked corn. I kindly allow my kids to mix it with a shovel in an old water trough. The feed bins are nice, and would be preffered by me, if I had the money. A gravity wagon will do the same, plus it's mobil. If either of those ingredients aren't within driving distance, you'll have to go bulk delivery. I'd do ⅓ soyhull pellets, ⅓ ddg,and ⅓ cracked corn. I'm not saving a fortune with my new mix,but the kids are building character, and character is important.

I've been doing the same (half and half/ ddgs/corn) this year for the first time and I'm confident they've done better on that then the creep feed I've used in years past.

I've been using CPC for several years, I use 13% grower in the creep feeder and 14% developer when I'm hand feeding both with Bovatec. Bulls are getting 3/4% of body weight averaging 3.5lbs a day. I try to grow them, then develop them. These feeds have done what I want them to do.
I've got 2 of the co-op bins get along ok with them. For hand feeding if I had it to do over id get the Tobb bins from co-op, there not stationary and you don't have to pour a few yards of concrete to set it on and looks like the way the feed comes out would be better on your back, I have the side bucket fills on my bins, but theres a ton left I have to bucket from the bottom. If your filling creep or cake feeders then regular bin with auger.

Bigfoot":23z9r1nc said:

Building muscle too.

Thanks for your help. I was referring to the Tobb Bulk bins from Co-Op. I wanted to make sure they emptied well.

I have a CO-OP 5 ton bin and like it. I'm feeding the CO-OP 14% pellet but will need to switch soon as I'm going to raise freezer beef and need to go "all natural" to keep the customers happy. Would love to find a feed company that would mix up a custom mix and deliver it with a 2-5 ton minimum. Any ideas on who might do this?

KW

Is there really such a thing as all natural anything?

Bigfoot":19l9vjz8 said:

That's what Iam feeding but Iam using ground ear corn and mixing it about 2/3 corn 1/3 DDGS. I use it as a creep feed for my calves and to supplement my cows some.

I probably would have never switched, but the flunky driving the bulk truck kept getting his wheels off my farm road (I'm a neat freak). I'm only saving $35-40 a ton. On 6 tons that's $180. A hundred an eighty dollars is a hundred and eighty dollars.

tnwalkingred":1le2nndn said:
I have a CO-OP 5 ton bin and like it. I'm feeding the CO-OP 14% pellet but will need to switch soon as I'm going to raise freezer beef and need to go "all natural" to keep the customers happy. Would love to find a feed company that would mix up a custom mix and deliver it with a 2-5 ton minimum. Any ideas on who might do this?

KW

Will performance feeds not deliver? There is one in War Trace and Lawerenceburg. Do you have much concern about rust on the 5 ton bin?

midtncattle":13dqfzis said:
tnwalkingred":13dqfzis said:

KW

Will performance feeds not deliver? There is one in War Trace and Lawerenceburg. Do you have much concern about rust on the 5 ton bin?
Unless you leave feed in the bin for a long period of time rust is not a problem. Each time you get feed from the bin the movement of the feed downward keeps the bin clean. The outside seems painted well so no issues there either.

Brentp":n2ajibxh said:
Pricefarm, where are you getting your DDG from locally?

Been getting it from Southern States in Bristol. Performance Feeds in Abingdon has a corn growers supplement that is mainly DDGS but has some soy hulls and gluten in it. I just got a load of it a couple weeks ago cattle love it and they are about 50$ a ton cheaper than SS

man I cannot believe how good a deal some of yall get for feed. here in fl we pay 250 ton for 14%. I buy citrus pellets and resale them at 6-9% and pay *** ton and I gotta do the hauling I resale em for 250 delivered and its the cheapest around but isn't high enough protein for the old timers so I cant get too many big enough customers to even take the 7 ton I haul..

dieselbeef":2gawp70v said:
man I cannot believe how good a deal some of yall get for feed. here in fl we pay 250 ton for 14%. I buy citrus pellets and resale them at 6-9% and pay *** ton and I gotta do the hauling I resale em for 250 delivered and its the cheapest around but isn't high enough protein for the old timers so I cant get too many big enough customers to even take the 7 ton I haul..
Me either DB.....can't imagine finding anything in this neck of the woods even close to that cheap.

Latest posts