bulk feed storage

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle":3uaf7cg7 said:
in arkansas I can't find any grain storage bins for sale. I need to hold 2-4 tons at a time. do any of you have any tips on making one or using something around the farm

I think that the 8' x 8' x 20 or 40' storage containers would work very well. The delivery truck could blow it in, or the transport could auger it in for you. A skid steet or hand tools would remove it easily. The rear doors close and are weather tight.

We use three of thse on the farm and will buy several more over the next couple of years. They sell for $1200 to $3000 each. They weigh 5500 lb each and are constructed of 16 gauge corrugated metal material.

"This man and two more tried to talk to my son about the litter, etc. He would not listen to anyone! "

I think it's time to take your son to the sale barn.. let him ruin his own operation!

plbcattle":38s2fai8 said:
in arkansas I can't find any grain storage bins for sale. I need to hold 2-4 tons at a time. do any of you have any tips on making one or using something around the farm

Don't know if you have found any grain storage bins yet but a feed store in my area has 3 big ones and 1 small one for sale. The name on the side says Butler, they are fairly old but look useable. Would have to be disassembled for transportation but just glancing at them I think the metal they are made of is worth more than what he is asking. If interested let me know.

Just finished reading an article about a rather ingenious Sask cattleman.

He is using old oil tanks to store grain ( the big ones for bulk storage and oilpatch use). Apparantly they cost him about $300.00 (Cdn) in the yard with bin doors installed, and he can store 5000 bushels of grain in them.

He also uses the ends of the old oil tanks to make water troughs. With a 2' wall and 19' diameter, they hold 2,800 gallons.

I'd guess that somewhere in the equation you'd have to factor in steam cleaning the tank, but seems like an interesting alternative.

Take care.

cherokeeruby":ghncr7yk said:
plbcattle":ghncr7yk said:

Don't know if you have found any grain storage bins yet but a feed store in my area has 3 big ones and 1 small one for sale. The name on the side says Butler, they are fairly old but look useable. Would have to be disassembled for transportation but just glancing at them I think the metal they are made of is worth more than what he is asking. If interested let me know.
Cherokeeruby, what is that thing (avatar)!!!
Is that one of those chupacabra creatures I have been hearing about?
Its not big enough to be a wampus cat.

Latest posts